Help!! Dying female Guppy?

rip_van_winkle

Valued Member
Reaction score
I just got three guppies (1 male: 2 female) from my LFS, from a totally healthy tank by the looks of it. I did the acclimation into a cycled tank. The three were all swiming around together, the females acting a bit annoyed with the male, but other ways fine. This afternoon, I came in to see 2 guppies swiming together, and one on the bottom. Is she just lonley? There are no other fish in the tank besides the guppies. Could she jealous of the other female? Or is she sick?

Any help would be apreciated!
Thanks

rip_van_winkle

Valued Member
Reaction score
Just as an update -

She seems to be hanging out with the group more now, and not just laying on the bottom. I think shes fine now, but I just wanted to check here to see what you guys have to say.
Thanks

~Hannah

Butterfly

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Sorry I didn't see this sooner- work is keeping me away from my favorite places
Keep an eye on her, is she ready to give birth? Guppys are really susceptible to chilling, especially females. They need plants to hide and rest in. They also go to the bottom at night to sleep, maybe she was sleeping Glad she seems to be doing better.
Carol

wolfman21

Valued Member
Reaction score
I had one that did that, too, and then one day she was swimming with the rest of them again. It's wierd and I can't explain it. I guess they just don't want to socialize or something but if she is swimming with the rest of them, then that is good to hear. Hopefully she keeps getting better, or more comfortable.

Neville

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
hi
i'm a new tank owner. i have two comets. but i wish to buy some guppies for a separate tank. i did a lot of studies on guppies for the last couple of days, i think female guppies stay on bottom when they are ready to give birth. a dark area appears near their anus and they don't want to mix with others. if u want to get some babies u should separate the female or the babies will be eaten by the parents.

wolfman21

Valued Member
Reaction score
Babies will probably get eaten unless separated. Sometimes they stay near the bottom when giving birth, sometimes they're closer to the top.

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom