Help! Dwarf Gourami Laying Around Breathing Heavy

Celso

5690885D-A49B-4F71-9968-3344C2173DE4.jpeg Hey Guys, my dwarf gourami has been in a 15 gal tank for about 2 weeks now, 3-Platys 1-DG since this morning I noticed he has been sitting around/laying all day in different areas, and breathing kinda rapid. He did come up when I fed the tank this morning but went right back down after. I have been treating Ick from 2 of my platy’s recently as well.
I love my fire DG and I hate to see him like this, he’s Usually swimming And happy.
WATER LEVELS- Nitrate:10, nitrite:0, Amonia:5

toeknee
Are you sure Amonia:5? Anything above 0 is very harmful if not deadly.

Celso
Are you sure Amonia:5? Anything above 0 is very harmful if not deadly.
I mean .25 lol

CanadianFishFan
toeknee
It's estimated a minimum of %30 of dwarf gouramis in the hobby suffer from iridovirus, or dwarf gourami disease. Long story short it is not curable and any D.G. with D.G. disease will eventually die from it no matter what you do. It can be slow or fast depending on the gouramis tank conditions. I've had a D.G. die withing the last year because of iridovirus. He was active and zipping around one week, the following week he spent his final days on the bottom of the tank breathing rapidly. I can't guarantee yours has it but it's pretty likely.

Celso
Y
It's estimated a minimum of %30 of dwarf gouramis in the hobby suffer from iridovirus, or dwarf gourami disease. Long story short it is not curable and any D.G. with D.G. disease will eventually die from it no matter what you do. It can be slow or fast depending on the gouramis tank conditions. I've had a D.G. die withing the last year because of iridovirus. He was active and zipping around one week, the following week he spent his final days on the bottom of the tank breathing rapidly. I can't guarantee yours has it but it's pretty likely.
yeah I was reading about it, it’s so sad. It has to be that because my other fish seem 100% fine even though 2 has ick they still look happy

Could it be the dreadful Dwarf Gourami Disease?
That’s what I’m thinking

CanadianFishFan
Mine always start off like that. The one I had passed away last week from it. Laying on its side breathing heavy... Poor gouramis.

Celso
Mine always start off like that. The one I had passed away last week from it. Laying on its side breathing heavy... Poor gouramis.
So what should I do? just leave him to die pretty much?

toeknee
Tough to say. Considering other fish in your tank have ich it's possible he's suffering form ich too. Can't rule that out. In certain stages of ich it can't be seen on fish and can cause a good amount of stress. I would properly treat the tank for ich first if your for sure other fish in the tank have it. Then go from there.

Celso
Tough to say. Considering other fish in your tank have ich it's possible he's suffering form ich too. Can't rule that out. In certain stages of ich it can't be seen on fish and can cause a good amount of stress. I would properly treat the tank for ich first if your for sure other fish in the tank have it. Then go from there.
Ok yeah, my red platy has no more on his fins or body, but my yellow one has some, the temp is also at 86

CanadianFishFan
Theres no cure for DGD : ( I tryed salt bath on his final days ( I don't know what for but who knows, I thought it was dropsy anyway....oops)

Celso
In
Theres no cure for DGD : ( I tryed salt bath on his final days ( I don't know what for but who knows, I thought it was dropsy anyway....oops)
I woke up this morning he was dead

toeknee
Probably wasn't anything you could have done. Now you should tackle your ich problem. Raising your tank temps to 86 degrees for two weeks should get rid of ich. Here's an article detailing how to treat ich with heat. Using Heat to Treat Ich in Freshwater Tropical Fish - Article at The Age of Aquariums - Tropical Fish

DoubleDutch
Only thing effective way to prevent DGD is not to buy DG's anymore.

This issue serious has catastrophic proportions. A beautiful fish (the most beautiful one to me) that is completely destroyed by "us" humans.

I think I've read thousands of threads exactly alike. They all ended the same way.
Serious : the trade should take action.

toeknee
Agreed, DG's should currently not be available to buy in the trade. Shame, they're such a great fish plagued by problems we caused.

Celso
Probably wasn't anything you could have done. Now you should tackle your ich problem. Raising your tank temps to 86 degrees for two weeks should get rid of ich. Here's an article detailing how to treat ich with heat. Using Heat to Treat Ich in Freshwater Tropical Fish - Article at The Age of Aquariums - Tropical Fish
Thank you

Letsfish
Yep, I lost one last year to indovirus.I took him about 6 weeks to die.Most of the stock comes for Asia where they inbreed the heck out of them,so inless I can get DG from a different source I`m done with them.

Attachments

• IMG_0436.JPG
    IMG_0436.JPG
    123.5 KB · Views: 84
Celso
Only thing effective way to prevent DGD is not to buy DG's anymore.

This issue serious has catastrophic proportions. A beautiful fish (the most beautiful one to me) that is completely destroyed by "us" humans.

I think I've read thousands of threads exactly alike. They all ended the same way.
Serious : the trade should take action.
I know huh. It’s my fav freshwater fish I might try an angel now

GeorgeDaGreat
My dwarf gourami died a few months ago from DGD. I replaced him with a pair of pearl gouramis. Still not sure which I prefer but I'm leaning towards they pearls.

BottomDweller
I know huh. It’s my fav freshwater fish I might try an angel now
15 gallons is much too small for angels. They also need warmer water than platies.

GeorgeDaGreat
Celso
S
My dwarf gourami died a few months ago from DGD. I replaced him with a pair of pearl gouramis. Still not sure which I prefer but I'm leaning towards they pearls.
so it’s not all DG species that carry this?

Letsfish
Right now I have a pair of Pearls in my QT,they have been in there for a week and got another 3 or 4 weeks to go before they get transferred.

BottomDweller
S

so it’s not all DG species that carry this?
I believe only dwarf gouramis can get it. Other gouramis such as honeys, pearls, sparkling and moonlight should be safe.

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
ComradeM
Replies
Views
A201
Replies
Views
coderedjulia
Replies
Views