Help! Dwarf Gourami Is Dull And Lethargic Asap! 10 Gallon Tank 

Marc85

Reaction score
Experience
1 year
3 Dwarf Gouramis in a 10 gallon tank.Water parameters ammonia:0,nitrite:0,nitrate:0.
The gouramis seemed very happy and like to swim around and eat like pigs =)
Ive had them for about a month now and just recently my Flame DG become pale a little bit and most of the time staying either on the bottom or on the top(coz i think it is gasping for air).He doesnt eat and i dont know what to do_Oh i just saw a long white poop from him..PLS HELP ASAP!!!

Kunsthure

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Welcome to Fish Lore!

I'm sorry that your flame DG is sick. Unfortunately, most commercially available dwarf gouramis are susceptible to what people call Dwarf Gourami Disease, which is caused by a highly contagious virus. I really hate to say it but the symptoms are what you're describing and there is no treatment or cure. And it's very likely, almost certain, that your other dwarf gouramis have been exposed and will also become sick. But in case they haven't, you must move the sick one to a separate tank. Do you have one available? Even a 5 gallon Rubbermaid-type storage bin with a filter and heater will work.

If your other two do remain healthy, it will be best for them to have their own tanks. Gouramis, including dwarfs, tend to be very territorial and don't do well with other gouramis. And two DGs in a 10 gallon is definitely one too many.

Are you sure your tank is cycled and/or you're testing the nitrates correctly? A cycled tank will have nitrates.

I'm really sorry and I wish I had better news to give you... But there are many, many
people here to help you with any questions or problems you have.

-Lisa

Rhan

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Agreed with what Kunsthure has said. But I'd also like to stress that 3 DGs in a 10 gallon is not going to work They are territorial fish towards their own kind (and occasionally others), and it could well be that the sick one is getting picked one when you aren't watching.

At this point, I think it's best to separate the sick DG, while keeping in mind that you will have to separate the other two at some point as well. You may have to think about returning two of them if you can't buy a bigger tank. Even then, you may still need to return one

Also, is your tank cycled? If you could post the latest test readings, that would be great.

Please keep us posted on how you go with your DG

Aquarist

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Hello Marc and Welcome to Fish Lore.

Sorry to read that your fish aren't feeling up to par.

I hope you enjoy the site.

Ken

Lucy

Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Welcome to FishLore!!
I'm sorry about your DG.
Along with the above posts, You might want to consider that the stress from having 3 DG's in a 10 gallon is what is making him ill.
As said above, it would be a good idea to separate them.

Good luck!

Shawnie

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
welcome to fishlore!!!!!!
great advice from others and I hope things look up soon!
im wondering how you cycled the tank so fast? maybe its a water issue as well...but the 3 arent going to make it in that size tank for too long as they are just too territorial..maybe you can find a couple breeders nets to keep them close to the top to breath, and get a bigger tank or rehome a couple? good luck with them!

Marc85

Reaction score
Experience
1 year
Thanks for the advice guys really appreciate it.I just got a QT for my sick DG and it is staying mostly on the top gasping for air. Any suggestions for any remedy, i know he's still not eating but i think my DG is still fighting for its life. I know hes really really sick but i guess hes waiting for me to cure him while hes still alive =). I also got a small container for my other DG and maybe get a bigger tank soon.Any recommendations what size?
And oh if u guys were wondering how did i get my tank cycled this fast its because i had fishes before and my gf gave it to her niece =). So the water parameters were ammonia:0 ,ph:7.6, nitrite:0, nitrate:0 --> idk my nitrate is like that but thats what the reading the tester gave me.I used API Freshwater test kit. o_O Any help and suggestions are welcome.Really appreciate ur helping me guys.THanks

AlyeskaGirl

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Hello!

Some good advice above.

i am sorry that your little guy isn't feeling well. They are sensitive to water quality, need well established tank and clean water.

The white striny poo may be the sign of an internal parasite.

Having zero nitrAte readings means your tank is not cycled. Make sure you really shake up and bang the nitrAte bottle #2 for at least a few minutes to breakup the crystals. If you don't you can get a false reading.

I hope things turn out OK.

catsma_97504

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Welcome to Fishlore!

Do you have live plants in your tank? That could explain no nitrate.

As stated above, beat the nitrate #2 bottle. Many go so far as to beat it against the counter. Part of the solution will crystallize out of the solution giving you a false 0 reading if not mixed correctly. Also, if you post the lot number from the bottle, we can determine if it has expired or not.

Since you're starting a new QT tank, you'll need to keep a close watch on the water parameters. Make sure there is an airstone to ensure there is plenty of oxygen.

Here's an article on Dwarf Gourmai that might be helpful.

Good luck

GoGreen

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
All great advice above I just wanted to welcome you to Fishlore.
I am sorry that your gourami isn't feeling well, hope you get things under control soon.

claudicles

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Welcome Marc. Keep us posted. We'll all be keen to hear how your fish are doing.

Toggle Sidebar

New Threads