Help! Dropped In Too Much Food

1. Mojo!

Mojo! Valued Member Member

I just intended to feed one bloodworm but just dropped a ton now he's eating crazy! Starting a water change give tips fasttt

2. maggie thecat

maggie thecat Well Known Member Member

Breathe.

There are worse things that can happen.

3. OP
    OP
    Mojo!

Most bloodworms are out of sight. But he probably ate like 10 worms. That's an issue. Anything I should do? I plan on fasting him the rest of today and tomorrow

4. maggie thecat

What kind of fish is this?

Fasting is good. Most fish get overfed anyway.

5. OP
    OP
    Mojo!

Freeze dried bloodworm, even worse I didn't presoak. I just wanted to give him a single one to test if he likes them

6. maggie thecat

A betta, then?

Watch for signs of bloat. Get some frozen peas in, in case you need to feed them. Fast for the next day or two.

Don't open food containers over the tank.
    Don't buy freeze dried food in the first place.

7. OP
    OP
    Mojo!

I'm just going to feed him literally one a week as a treat. My mistake. Next time I will use tweezers

As for the rest of the bloodworms in the tank. Will they just wear off through water changes over time or should I act now. Just did 2 50% change

8. maggie thecat

I don't follow. Did you actively vacuum them out of the tank? Or did you just change the water?

You really do not want a bunch of food to degrade in the tank. You really don't want your fish gorging on bloodworms.

If there are still a bunch of bloodworms in the tank, then clean it properly. Take the fish out, so he won't get in the way, remove the decor, so it won't get in the way, and vacuum every last worm out.

9. OP
    OP
    Mojo!

I gravel vacuumed and got MOST of them

10. Honey gourami guy

Honey gourami guy New Member Member

All you need to do is fast the fish for couple of days. How big is your tank?
    And the water change is a good thing to do.

He means he sivened the water out while taking it up and down in gravel going all around the tank

11. maggie thecat

I know the difference between a water change and a gravel vacuuming. It wasn't especially clear that the OP did. Given he has a situation with excess food in the tank, there is a major difference between the two procedures and how they can affect his fish.

12. Honey gourami guy

Ok I didnt quite under stand your response

13. OP
    OP
    Mojo!

Alright, I think he is good. Doesn't look bloated.

14. Honey gourami guy

Good

15. OP
    OP
    Mojo!

He probably ate like 10 worms! Should I give him a pea? How do you prepare a pea?

16. Honey gourami guy

I don't know exactly but I'd asome defrost if there soft give it to him like that or boil it to make it soft if you boil it let it cool

17. OP
    OP
    Mojo!

Any other responses in how to prepare a frozen pea?

18. clk89

clk89 Fishlore VIP Member

I just let the peas thaw by itself, then deshell, tear into pieces and feed.

19. OP
    OP
    Mojo!

So you just let is sit out for a while?

And what do you mean by deshell?

20. clk89

clk89 Fishlore VIP Member

yes I let it sit in a clean container until it's thawed and soft. You take off the shell off the pea, the outer skin.