Help: Diseased or just some odd coloring???

1. Bithimala

Bithimala Fishlore VIP Member

Hey all, I could use some help with one of my RCS. The coloring doesn't look right, but it doesn't quite look like ellobiopsidae at this point, but maybe that just means I caught it really early? I have this little one separated currently, but need some advice about next steps. He's in just a tiny temp tank with some pothos currently.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. Aquaphobia

Aquaphobia Fishlore Legend Member

Can you see that discolouration from the top or only from the bottom?

3. OP
    OP
    Bithimala

Only from the bottom. It's bright like ellobiopsidae, but isn't spiky or anything yet.

4. Aquaphobia

I saw on a recent thread that tokiodreamy recently dealt with this. Maybe she'll have a better idea!

5. OP
    OP
    Bithimala

I'm hoping she will, but I also haven't seen updates on how her cure attempts are progressing on her thread recently either :( I went through and reread it a few times today...

6. Aquaphobia

Oh, rats:( TBH I'd never even heard of this disease until I read that thread:-\

7. OP
    OP
    Bithimala

Me either. Been hunting for stuff ever since I read it though. Not sure if there's much to actually be done, seems like not much is known about it. That's the down side of keeping things like shrimp and snails, they're still relatively new in the hobby, so there aren't years and years of research and work on them.

On a different note though, second group of babies is now out and about and I moved my ghost over into that tank to test the pest snail theory of yours :)

8. OP
    OP
    Bithimala

Well, I saw one little nodule thing today, so I'm going to assume it's disease. I have ordered paraguard, since apparently no where around actually stocks the stuff and am doing daily salt dips. Fingers crossed.

Not sure where it came from though. I only had one other shrimp in the tank who had it, and that shrimp passed over a month ago. I haven't seen any sign of it since. The only thing I can assume is that the heat from the AC being out weakened them and it was hanging out somewhere in the tank and the weakened state allowed it to take hold? Anyone know if that is actually an accurate assessment???

9. Skyy2112

Skyy2112 Valued Member Member

10. OP
    OP
    Bithimala

Thanks for the link! I watched her video on treatment yesterday, and am hoping to go with something a bit less severe since it is still very early on. The reason I'm having such a hard time telling is because it's bright like that, but not really structured like that. I don't know if it's just really early on and it hasn't had a chance to grow, or if it's something different.

11. Skyy2112

Skyy2112 Valued Member Member

Like I posted earlier, meds can be just like anti biotics or steroids to us, they may not notice them. (Depending on the strength of meds ofc)

Hope it was some help, and hope you have luck!

12. tokiodreamy

tokiodreamy Well Known Member Member

Sorry guys! I just saw this! The app does a bad job of letting you know you've been tagged or have messages.

I do need to update my thread. My little shrimp has been through a lot. I did about 5-7 days of paraguard and at first wasn't seeing any improvement. I noticed a HUGE ammonia spike and did several back to back 50% water changes for several days. It took forever to go down and then turned into a HUGE nitrite spike. Never knew 1 shrimp in a 5.5g could make 5+ppm waste.

Because of that spike, I wasn't treating with paraguard during the time. Didn't want to kill him with stress. Now that I have a new filter and the water has been managable, I'll start dosing again. I did a quick look the other day and I believe I'm seeing progress but I'll take a second look tonight. He did moult at least once, so that's always good :)

I can't tell by the photos if its ellobiopsidae or not since the quality via phone is poor. My little guy didn't have the bushy parts yet either but I caught it early.

How long have you had that shrimp and where did you buy him?

13. OP
    OP
    Bithimala

Well, at this point, he is unfortunately gone. Probably due to the stress of large water changes while I had him QTd. And no worries, I can't figure out much of anything on the app either. He was one of my little ones that was born in my tank, but there was one infected shrimp that I had purchase initially and well before I knew anything about this disease from you, who had died in the tank. So far, I haven't seen anything on any of the others, but I do have a little QT up and running and just got the meds in in the event that I see anything else.

14. tokiodreamy

tokiodreamy Well Known Member Member

Aww I'm sorry for your loss. :(

I can't believe mine is still alive in all honesty. 5ppm+ ammonia then 2ppm + nitrite... plus this disease... like how?!

At least you'll be prepared if need be! Keep an eye out and remove all moults for a week or two if you can.

15. OP
    OP
    Bithimala

Don't think that's going to be possible at this point. I know for next time though (hopefully won't happen). It's already been two weeks, and my ghost shrimp loves them, so they don't last long if she finds them.