Help-discus dying

Discussion in 'Freshwater Fish Disease' started by bryce1217, Jan 1, 2013.

1. bryce1217Valued MemberMember

im currently not home. my mom is taking care of my fish while im gone. she called me this morning saying that my red discus is dying. he is layed on his nose on the driftwood. my tank that i had them in seems to be going through some sort of minicycle. it was fine last nite she said. my nitrate is 50, nitrite is around .5, water is hard and my p.h. is 7.8. i dont test ammonia but i know it cant be good either. im risking it but im moving them into my 46 gallon. it has a p.h. around 7.8-8.0. its nitrate is 0, nitirite is 0 and its water is very soft. im adding blackwater extract to my big tank when i add them. im gonna do huge water changes in my small tank. any ideas what could be wrong with him or is it just the bad conditions? he hasnt been very interested in food but has been eateing. i wasnt worried about him. anything helps!

2. Disc61

Disc61Well Known MemberMember

Hi Bryce, sorry to hear your troubles. The more you move him at this point the worst it will become. he is obviously in a weakened state of being and any stress will make it worst. if your 46 is cyled, yes i would move him there, although i would do a large WC on the 46 before moving him so he doesn't have to deal with that. raise the Temp up a few degrees, Turn the lights off and let him rest. beyond that, without anymore info on his condition and symtoms i cant really give you a treatment.
    Does he look Bloated? any info on his symtoms would help us.

3. OP
    OP
    b

bryce1217Valued MemberMember

he just died. thanks for tryimg to help though. i dont know if he was bloated because im currently not home. i will look at him when i get home. from what my mom says that blu discus looks good and is swimming around.

4. Disc61

Disc61Well Known MemberMember

Sorry to hear of your loss. he will definitely be bloated when you get home, you will not be able to make much of a calculation at that point. good luck.

5. OP
    OP
    b

thanks. i hope it was just water conditions that killed him. thanks.

6. OP
    OP
    b

it wasnt bloat. my mom has kept fish before and she has delt with bloat and it definantly wasnt bloat she said.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice