Help! Did i overstock my 10 gallon?

1. T

Tomenstanco New Member Member

I cycled my 10 gallon and everything. Currently I have a golden mystery snail, 3 plaites, and 2 mollies. Did I overstock or can I add more fish? Can I add any shrimps?

2. clk89

clk89 Fishlore VIP Member

I would return the mollies, those have to big of a bioload for a ten gallon. I am unsure on the platies. I wouldn't add more fish.

3. codyrex97

codyrex97 Well Known Member Member

Rehome mollies, platies should be fine. Somebody else should chime in on wether or not you can add anything beyond that.

4. Airth

Airth Valued Member Member

While mollies have a bigger bioload than platties, the platties do still contribute quite a bit of waste. I would personally not add anything else.

In agreement with rehoming the mollies. If you want shrimp for your tank I'd suggest rehoming 2 of the platies as well.

While not completely accurate aqadvisor.com will give you a general idea of the stocking level of your tank.

5. codyrex97

codyrex97 Well Known Member Member

Guppies are a better option for your tank in my opinion, as you can have 5 male guppies comfortably in the tank.

6. TexasDomer

TexasDomer Fishlore Legend Member

Agreed, rehome the mollies. You can add some shrimp after that!

7. el337

el337 Fishlore Legend Member

I agree to rehome the mollies and then I'd say you're fully stocked for fish. You could add some shrimp and/or snails though. :)

Edit: What sex are the platys? If mixed genders, there will be fry so be prepared for that. If you don't want babies, I'd rehome the females and get all males.