Help Diagnosing Plant Problems Help

1. CPARKTX Member Member

I have a 20g low tech tank, currently using Seachem root tabs, 10 hours of light per day. Seeing some growth, but regular dead leaves too. Can you please help me identify the issues?

3e8e4d134992a842d0e0c5a392ec9db9.jpg 7fc02b51d1333b2b80e598a6b985cca0.jpg

2. -Mak- Well Known Member Member

Older leaves turning yellow and dying is a sign of nitrogen deficiency.

3. CPARKTX Member Member

Thank you. I'm surprised since this is a heavily stocked tank. Would Seacgem Flourish liquid provide enough nitrogen, or should I specifically supplement nitrogen?

4. -Mak- Well Known Member Member

No, flourish barely has any nitrogen. How long have the plants been in there? Might wait for someone else to chime in just in case it's some other macro deficiency, @Jocelyn Adelman any thoughts?

5. Jocelyn Adelman Well Known Member Member

I'd also go with nitrogen as the main, potassium as the secondary...
    However, you don't want to just start dosing nitrogen, you need a good balanced fert. Thrive by nilocg I have used and like, UNS plant food is another with the same make-up, just haven't tried it myself.

If it's a sword (hard to tell from the pictures) you need to have root tabs in there....

Can you post a whole plant picture? Plus a whole tank shot?

6. CPARKTX Member Member

Here are the photos, I appreciate the advice, in very much a novice with plants. Also, my water chemistry is 0/0/0 if that is important. f75c86e54fa03276969800ab7bbedad0.jpg df90325a613ba0be85d63f3bacf55e1d.jpg 7a2342ab6a83cf90c33925aef06029c4.jpg

7. Jocelyn Adelman Well Known Member Member

How long has the tank been running for? How long have the plants been in for? How long have you had fish in it?
    Are you sure your nitrates are 0? What test are you using?

For sure I would get a good all around fert such as thrive to get those levels up. For a planted tank you don't want to get nitrates below 10 or you will run into issues. If your nitrates are really that low I would start dosing twice a week.
    Make sure the root tabs are located directly next to the swords.

8. xapoc Member Member

Take a look at this.

plant_nutrition.png

9. CPARKTX Member Member

This tank has been running two months. Some plants went in immediately, some went in three weeks ago. Fish have been phased in over that period, slowly adding so as not to overwhelm. Water quality has been 0/0/0 for the past three weeks with no movement.

Good tip on the root tabs, I will add more right by the swords.