Help Diagnosing Fancy Goldfish

1. Samantha Levine

Samantha Levine New Member Member

So I've had a lemon head oranda goldfish for about two months now in my cycled 43 gallon tank who had seemed to be thriving until about three days ago. My goldfish has been leaning towards one side and sometimes completely laid on that side. However, his leaning has not slowed him down a bit. He is still eating regularly, (sinking pellets and more recently freeze dried bloodworms), using the restroom regularly, (however there are what seems to be air bubbles in his feces), and easily making his way around the entirety of the tank. My water quality is this: ammonia and nitrites are 0, nitrates 15, and pH 6.9. I've done some research and I'm thinking it may be a swim bladder disease or I've been suggested it may have something to do with the angle of the tank light? I don't believe it to be any sort of problem with his wen being too heavy as he also likes to swim completely vertical, wen up. I hate seeing my poor guy like this. Should I try this 48 hour no food and then shelled peas method? Or should I try turning off the light for a few days? Any and all advice is welcomed! Thanks!

2. maggie thecat

maggie thecat Well Known Member Member

Have you been rehydrating those freeze dried bloodworms before feeding them?

They are a known cause of gastric distress.

3. OP
    OP
    Samantha Levine

Samantha Levine New Member Member

I have and I actually didn't give him the worms until about two days ago, after the problems, because I read that maybe this is caused by an unvaried diet. But thanks!