Help Diagnose My Pearlscale

Discussion in 'Freshwater Beginners' started by Alaina Leigh, Apr 19, 2018.

1. Alaina Leigh

Alaina Leigh Valued Member Member

Hello,

I need some help with determining what is going on with my pearlscale pair. First, tank is a 30 gallon, I have a pair three month old pearlscales in it, a cannister filter, a sponge filter, substrate and live plants. I did a fish less cycle so tank parameters have held at 0/0/5-10, pH 7.4-7.6.

Both fish are suffering from something and manifesting very different symptoms.

Tweedle Dee: aggressive finnrot. Bulging eyes. Eating and acting completely normal- no signs of stress. Slight nipping at Tweedle Dum during feeding time.

Tweedle Dum: only external signs are slight red pinprick like stippling on stomach- blood vessels visible through white skin. Behavior is odd- been hanging at the surface in a corner for 5 days. Just sits there, bobbing like a cork. Swims down occasionally just for the heck of it- also swims down to eat.

1 week ago I saw a scale and some skin hanging off of Tweedle Dum. Applied topical iodine- abrasion disappeared in 1 day. His eyes were a bit bulgy for a little bit but have returned to their original size.

A few weeks ago, when fin rot was getting bad, I completed a course of Kanaples/Metroplex. Temporarily stopped rapid fin deterioration on Tweedle Dee, after treatment completed, finrot progressed. Waited a few days then started Maracyn 2 treatment. Again, temporarily worked on finnrot, at the end of course of treatment it picked up again.

Now I am considering Furan 2 or Sulfate 3. Thoughts?

Fasted them for 3 days in case Tweedle Dum was constipated. No change.

Had a detritus worm breakout 1 month ago. I realize this means their tank was dirty. Water parameters still stayed in ideal range, but i have been siphoning daily to remove them. The Tweedles enioy eating them. Could this be part of the problem?

Water has been kept pristine for at least 3 weeks since the worm outbreak. However the ailments have not improved.

Food pellets were always soaked first, but I switched to Repashy two weeks ago and that seems to be better for them.

Your thoughts are very much appreciated on what could possibly be wrong, and suggested treatment.

Image 1: Tweedle Dum diving from his new spot at top of tank, facing in the corner

Image 2: Tweedle Dum with visible red pinprick like spots on his tum

Image 3: Tweedle Dee having seen better days, showing his bulging eyes

Image 4: Tweedles together, Tweedle Dee finnrot. Dorsal fin almost gone. It is much worse now, tail is in tatters.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Apr 19, 2018
  2. BaraYoukai

BaraYoukai Valued Member Member

0.0 this is horrible. I am so sorry.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice