Help Determining Cause Of Death

Discussion in 'Freshwater Fish Disease' started by nikm128, Feb 10, 2019.

1. nikm128Fishlore VIPMember

Tank

What is the water volume of the tank?
    20g high
    How long has the tank been running?
    7-8 months
    Does it have a filter?
    yes, two
    Does it have a heater?
    yes
    What is the water temperature?
    80-81
    What is the entire stocking of this tank? (Please list all fish and inverts.)
    1 juvenile angelfish (growout tank only)
    Maintenance
    How often do you change the water?
    Weekly
    How much of the water do you change?
    25-50%
    What do you use to treat your water?
    Prime
    Do you vacuum the substrate or just the water?
    Vacuum both
    *Parameters - Very Important
    Did you cycle your tank before adding fish?
    yes
    What do you use to test the water?
    API master test kit
    What are your parameters? We need to know the exact numbers, not just “fine” or “safe”.

Ammonia: 0
    Nitrite: 0
    Nitrate: 20
    pH: 7.8

Feeding
    How often do you feed your fish?
    Usually 2x a day, but just once in this case due to odd swimming (will explain below)
    How much do you feed your fish?
    Just 5 pellets
    What brand of food do you feed your fish?
    Bug Bites tropical pellets
    Do you feed frozen or freeze-dried foods?
    Yes, frozen brine shrimp

Illness & Symptoms
    How long have you had this fish?
    Exactly one week
    How long ago did you first notice these symptoms?
    A day or so after purchase
    In a few words, can you explain the symptoms?
    Clamped fins, swimming slightly nose up
    Have you started any treatment for the illness?
    Not sure it was an illness
    Was your fish physically ill or injured upon purchase?
    Not that I could see. I picked the one with the best colors and movement speed
    How has its behavior and appearance changed, if at all?
    Swimming nose up

Explain your emergency situation in detail. (Please give a clear explanation of what is going on, include details from the beginning of the illness leading up to now)
    Bought a 3/4-1 inch blue zebra angel fish a week ago, acclimated by floating the bag for 15 minutes the slowly adding tank water until the bag was full. Then netted the angel and moved it to the tank. I left the lights off and didn't feed that night since I knew it wouldn't eat anyway, same thing the next morning too. Then that next afternoon I dropped in a few pellets and he ate them very quickly.
    Long story short, he ate and swam just fine, there were no signs of illness or injury, and he ate fine too. The only thing wrong was the clamped fins and the weird swimming. Found him dead on the filter intake tonight after skipping this mornings feeding and leaving the lights off to help if it was a stress issue. I see nothing I did wrong and I just want to know what happened to the poor thing

2. Katie13Fishlore VIPMember

Where did you purchase his?

3. nikm128Fishlore VIPMember

I got it from petco, but this specific location has majorly stepped up on care and quality suppliers.
    It was a batch of three and I'm pretty the other two are still there, and healthy.

4. Katie13Fishlore VIPMember

I'm pretty sure they get their stock from the same supplies as Pet Supplies Plus. I've lost dozens of Angels from that supplier that showed virtually no symptoms.

5. nikm128Fishlore VIPMember

Maybe, but this is the first fish I've lost from that location in over a year. This location gets as much as possible from liveaquaria so I do trust their stock health

6. nikm128Fishlore VIPMember

What I mean by that is if liveaquaria has it, that's who they'll get it from. If liveaquaria doesn't have it, they're very hesitant to order
    Then when anything gets sick they turn off the sump and add a heater and hob to the tank
    Plus if it were a bad batch, well the other two probably wouldn't still be alive in the store

7. angelcrazeWell Known MemberMember

So sorry for your loss :(

Are the other two still there for sure?