Help determine the sex of my RCS

Gwlson7

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
We just got 5 new red cherries yesterday and they all seem to be acclimating to the tank well. My toddler wants to name them but wants to make sure the names are gender specific so he “needs” to know if they’re girls or boys. Can someone help me out, I’m no good at figuring it out. We also have one blue velvet that’s been living in the filter box that I was finally able to fish out, so he/she is in there too. Sorry for some fuzzy photos, these little buggers are hard to catch on camera.

Attachments

Demeter

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
All but the last one are females IMO.

OP
Gwlson7

Gwlson7

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Shucks. So all of the red are females?

OP
Gwlson7

Gwlson7

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
I’m pretty sure picture 3 is a male as well. It’s color is much lighter, it’s way smaller and he looks thinner. I’ll take a better picture when I find it.

Demeter

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Pretty sure they all are female, only one with any hope of possibly being a male is the third one but body shape says female to me. You can tell by color for the average red cherry, males are usually duller than females, females are usually larger and often have either a green or yellow "saddle" on their back which indicates developing eggs.

Look at the body shape of the blue shrimp, see how the underside of his tail has a different curve than the others? Also note how the swimmerets overlap a bit where they meet the middle of the body, just before the legs start. He's for sure a male.

Your shrimp will breed as the blue male is simply a different color form of the same species. Problem is, they will produce mainly brown shrimp as often happens when mixing different color morphs.

Here are some pictures of my colony. Apparnelty I don’t take many pictures of just males but the yellow is a big old male.
5C57E43C-EA8F-4B88-A9EA-46FC7EF44010.jpeg

Little ugly male on the yellow lead in front.
BF04E2F1-124F-4F4F-BFD2-FDD17AB34EF3.jpeg

Note the yellow patch on the red female riding the rabbit snail.
AD185CB4-7ECE-498A-B53B-A81BEAFE252F.jpeg

On this cholla wood there are several females, little guy on the white mystery snail is a male.
BDBC4490-DA14-4953-9789-4D0FAA17E63D.jpeg

OP
Gwlson7

Gwlson7

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Thank you everyone. I guess I’m off to the LFS to get more shrimpies this weekend! I’d love to have some babies in the tank, and I’d prefer them to not all be brown.

New Threads