Help delivering platies fry

Animefishes

I have a pregnant platy that is pregnant and showing signs of going into labor soon
I have no idea how to do this, Im going to get a 3-5 gal ready for her to give birth and raise the fry to juvenile size then figure out what to do from there

mimo91088

They're basically just mini versions of the adults. Only special care compared to an adult is you need to crush the food small enough for them to eat.

Betta'sAnonymous

We have always just let our platues give birth in tank. Make sure to have a something to cover up the filter intake. Fry have a tendency to swim into them otherwise.

mimo91088

Betta'sAnonymous said:
We have always just let our platues give birth in tank. Make sure to have a something to cover up the filter intake. Fry have a tendency to swim into them otherwise.
Same here. The marineland 350 intake slots are small enough that I never bothered with an intake sponge though.

Animefishes

I'm not sure what kind of filter I have but it's disassembled rn so I'll check later

I was wondering if platy fry would die in the stomach and still release from the female.
I was also wondering about how to make sure a lot of the fry survive.
I'm using a breeder box and I was wondering if I need the male in there with them for a certain amount of time each day.

MaximumRide14

I believe the fry are reabsorbed by the female if they are not birthed. I would have use a tank without many fish (they like to eat the fry) and have lots of dense plants for the fry to hide in. You don't always need a male in there all the time because platies can hold sperm for multiple births. You'll probably be recommended to not use a breeder box on here, they often stress out the female and risk the chance of the female aborting. If you're tank has some hiding spots, I'd recommend that you let the female give birth out in your tank rather than keeping her in the breeder box.

fishnovice33

I have never had a dead fry come out of a platy. They release over time maybe a few hours or longer. A breeder box is good, once you think most the fry have beeb born, remove the female.

If you do not have another tank, you can keep them in the breeder box/net for a while until then get a little bigger but eventually will need to release into the tank as to not stunt their growth.

Your question is a bit confusing if you’re trying to breed platies or ensure survival at birth. You should have two females per one male. They’re extremely easy to breed, they will do it on their own. Once you can see the eyes clearly in the females belly, which will be very bloated, separate into the box. Male is not needed.

Lots and lots of hiding places like a big clump of guppy grass will help survival. They ones that make it will eventually realize when they’re big enough to venture out and 6-8 week later they’ll be swimming with everyone else.

Animefishes

Thanks for all the help but I'm gonna check PetSmart for breeder boxes (Petco didn't have any left) and if that doesn't work I'll get a bunch of more plants for platy fry to hide in and let it be survival of the fittest and let the fry survive on there own

Should I leave the platy in the breeder box overnight in case she gives birth tonight?

There is no eyes but the stomach is bulging and today she has been very very very isolated from the other fish and staying in the back of my tank and not coming out unless it's the morning

Does this mean anything???

fishnovice33

I mean it’s hard to say...not sure if I can post this link...

Eyes can be hard to see sometimes but I usually can see them - it’s basically a black strip. If you can take a couple good pictures it would really help.

Animefishes

Thank u, that link was very helpful

There is the white hollow hole and arched back

Should I put her in for the night???

jkkgron2

I really wouldn’t use breeder boxes. For one, if you don’t time it right you risk the female aborting. Also, there’s the risk of her eating her fry. I have never had issues just using plants and I actually had a pregnant female endler in quarantine (without many hiding spots and no plants) and she ended up eating almost half the fry because they didn’t have places to hide. Depending on how often you feed them they may not get enough food in the box because live plants contain microorganisms the fry eat that help them survive.

mimo91088

Don't take this the wrong way. I've read through your other threads too I truly respect the passion you have for these baby fish. But you're overthinking it. Platies are even more prolific than guppies. It really is as simple as just watching them do their thing.

Animefishes

Thank you all, she was put in the box yesterday and honestly, she is abnormally happy in there, but I was wondering if I could give her something to entertain herself?

I noticed that her front 2 fins right in front of the analfin are closed and every time I check they are still closed, does this mean she is in labour?

Please, I really want to know what this means

RayClem

If livebearer fry are released in an aquarium, they often try to swim to the surface soon after birth. Thus, it is important to have cover for them to hid at the surface of the tank. Floating plants work well for this, especially if they have good root systems below the surface.

Another thing you can do is purchase polyester or acrylic yarn from the craft store and use it to make a spawning mop that provides lots of places the fry can hide from other fish that might consider them to be a tasty snack. There are a number of videos on YouTube that will show you how to do this. Just search for "spawning mop".

Animefishes

RayClem said:
If livebearer fry are released in an aquarium, they often try to swim to the surface soon after birth. Thus, it is important to have cover for them to hid at the surface of the tank. Floating plants work well for this, especially if they have good root systems below the surface.

Another thing you can do is purchase polyester or acrylic yarn from the craft store and use it to make a spawning mop that provides lots of places the fry can hide from other fish that might consider them to be a tasty snack. There are a number of videos on YouTube that will show you how to do this. Just search for "spawning mop".
I was really just wondering what the closed pelvic fins meant, I have the birth covered, I have a grate at the bottom of the breed box and when this fish are birthed they will fall down and in the morning Ill put the platy back

The fins went back to normal while she was eating

jkkgron2

The closed fins mean she is stressed. Also, that box is really small. She shouldn’t stay in there longer than maybe two days. I would take her out if she hasn’t given birth after tomorrow.

RayClem

Aquariuman said:
I was really just wondering what the closed pelvic fins meant, I have the birth covered, I have a grate at the bottom of the breed box and when this fish are birthed they will fall down and in the morning Ill put the platy back
I was suggesting the spawning mop as an alternative to using a breeding box. Although they are fine for a guppy, most of the breeding boxes I have seen are way to small for a platy, swordtail, or mollie.

Animefishes

RayClem said:
I was suggesting the spawning mop as an alternative to using a breeding box. Although they are find for a guppy, most of the breeding boxes I have seen are way to small for a platy, swordtail, or mollie.
Thank you, and I will try it out but the box I have is actually 2 normal ones but with a divider

RayClem

Aquariuman said:
Thank you, and I will try it out but the box I have is actually 2 normal ones but with a divider
Live birth is a very stressful process for a female. It does not matter whether it is a mammal or a livebearing fish. Anything you can do to keep the mother comfortable during the process is helpful. Your female does not look particularly comfortable in the breeder box. At the very least, put in a couple of sprigs of plants to give her some cover.

Animefishes

Thank you, I think I might get some floating plants

Here is a better pic

She swims around and wags her tail excitedly

SM1199

Perhaps it is just the angle of the photo, but I am not convinced your platy is close to giving birth right now. I would definitely let her out of the breeder box.

Animefishes

SM1199 said:
Perhaps it is just the angle of the photo, but I am not convinced your platy is close to giving birth right now. I would definitely let her out of the breeder box.
I'm going to let her out tomorrow and spend the day making/buying cover for unexpected fry

mimo91088

Aquariuman said:
I'm going to let her out tomorrow and spend the day making/buying cover for unexpected fry
This is a good idea. I don't like breeder boxes either. Just give the fry places to hide. If you keep her well fed she's unlikely to eat many even without the cover. You're just adding an extra layer of insurance.

Animefishes

I rearranged the aquascape today during a water change, it doesn't look that good but at least I made it better for fry to hide

Oops I forgot to add the pic

RayClem

The more hiding places the better. You might want to look at making a spawning mop. Acrylic yarn is very inexpensive and provides lots of hiding places. You can make the mop as big or as small as you desire.

Animefishes

I have green yarn but I'm not allowed to use it because it is currently being used in a crochet "blanket" that will prob never be finished, because the person using it hasn't worked on it since August

I made a mop

Animefishes

Would my dwarf cichlid eat the fry?
Because I have a patch of plastic short grass with leaves at the top but she can get into there and probably eat them, he has been in there for a while so they won't evade her because she goes there alot and I want fry to survive

StarGirl

Aquariuman said:
Would my dwarf cichlid eat the fry?
Because I have a patch of plastic short grass with leaves at the top but she can get into there and probably eat them, he has been in there for a while so they won't evade her because she goes there alot and I want fry to survive
I think pretty much any fish will eat fry. Thats why lots of hiding spaces are better for them.

Animefishes

The cichlid is pretty small so it can get into those places but the places are not easy to see inside unless you're in the places

mimo91088

Get some floating plants if you can. Give the fry a place to hide at the top of the water.

StarGirl

When I had guppy fry I had some of those grass looking plants like in the left corner and floated them upside down up top for some more cover.

RayClem

Aquariuman said:
I have green yarn but I'm not allowed to use it because it is currently being used in a crochet "blanket" that will prob never be finished, because the person using it hasn't worked on it since August
It does not have to be green yarn. Any color will do. Most people into knitting and crochet normally have a stock of various colors.

mimo91088

Water sprite works well floating too if you can't find traditional floaters.

Kribensis27

mimo91088 said:
So does hornwort. Both super easy, although I do like water sprite more.

RayClem

mimo91088 said:
Many folks who breed guppies and other livebearers consider water sprite to be an ideal plant for breeding tanks. It can be planted in the substrate or it will grow as a floating plant. Because it branches out from a crown, it provides lots of nooks and crannies for the fry to hide. It also helps suck up unwanted nutrients from the water column.

For many years, I had a difficult time finding water sprite at local fish stores. I was delighted when I was able to find some online. I started with a couple of smaller plants, but the plants grew well and now grace four aquariums.

Animefishes

I made a mop, I posted a pic too

mattgirl

Aquariuman said:
I rearranged the aquascape today during a water change, it doesn't look that good but at least I made it better for fry to hide

Oops I forgot to add the pic
Tank looks good but if you want your fry to to survive and I know you do, you need to situate the mop so it is floating at the top of the tank. I know this photo was taken before you made your mop. I just wanted to point out that newborn fry are going to go to the top of the tank so that is where you need their hiding places. This is why so many folks are recommending various floating plants.

The mop will help but floating plants will also contain microscopic food for the newborns. Eventually the mop will also grow food but it will take time. Since you want even more babies after this you will want to keep the mop in there all the time to allow it to get well seasoned, meaning give it time to grow micro organisms. I will highly recommend you try to get some easy to grow floating plants for future births.

RayClem

mattgirl said:
Tank looks good but if you want your fry to to survive and I know you do, you need to situate the mop so it is floating at the top of the tank. I know this photo was taken before you made your mop. I just wanted to point out that newborn fry are going to go to the top of the tank so that is where you need their hiding places. This is why so many folks are recommending various floating plants.

The mop will help but floating plants will also contain microscopic food for the newborns. Eventually the mop will also grow food but it will take time. Since you want even more babies after this you will want to keep the mop in there all the time to allow it to get well seasoned, meaning give it time to grow micro organisms. I will highly recommend you try to get some easy to grow floating plants for future births.
Yep, if I try to pull the mops out of my guppy tanks it is amazing the amount of debris in there. That provides an ideal food source for fry.

Animefishes

They still aren't born, is something wrong?
Here is a pic of her now

SM1199

Nope, nothing wrong. It's only been a week and a half since you last posted photos of her, and at that point, she wasn't too far along in her pregnancy. It takes about a month.

Animefishes

SM1199 said:
Nope, nothing wrong. It's only been a week and a half since you last posted photos of her, and at that point, she wasn't too far along in her pregnancy. It takes about a month.
Nothing was wrong, I found a BUNCH of fry today

mimo91088

Yay!

AggressiveAquatics

Congrats!

Kribensis27

Yay!

RayClem

I hope the mother does well. I just lost one of my female platys after she gave birth. Live birth is a stressful process for both fish and mammals.

Cara

RayClem said:
I hope the mother does well. I just lost one of my female platys after she gave birth. Live birth is a stressful process for both fish and mammals.
so sorry

Animefishes

Is she pregnant too?

I'm struggling because she might be pregnant or she might have eaten the fry

Cara

Aquariuman said:
Is she pregnant too?

I'm struggling because she might be pregnant or she might have eaten the fry
How long do you think it's been? If you've been watching your tank as much as I have been watching mine...I can't imagine that none escaped to safety. I think

Animefishes

Cara said:
How long do you think it's been? If you've been watching your tank as much as I have been watching mine...I can't imagine that none escaped to safety. I think
I haven't been paying attention to her very much
But yesterday before the fry were born she was pretty big

PerfectSatyr683

Oh btw that us a Varitus not a platy, they are in the same family though

Most photos, videos and links are disabled if you are not logged in.

Top Bottom