Help deciding on substrate

1. bassbonediva Fishlore VIP Member

Right, so...

Right now, I have my new marble dragon HMPK male betta in my 20gL with my female GBR. Not ideal, but they get along. However, the tank doesn't have a lid and any betta I have put in that tank has jumped out. As I don't want this to happen to Dirk, I did some tank shuffling and he's going into my 10gal. I don't particularly like the 'scape of the 10gal for him, though. Picky, I know, but I love doing tank 'scapes and I don't have an excuse to re-'scape any of my other tanks, so yeah.

Anyway, this is the 'scape (basically) of the tank right now:
    [​IMG]
    I added some more fake plants in the back, changed out the filter from an HOB to an intank Marina, and added a jaguar skull. The substrate is CaribSea Moonlight sand.

Now, because Dirk is named after Dirk Pitt from the Clive Cussler books, I wanted to go with something a little more...nautical. I have a a sunken ship bubbler that I'm going to use, along with a beautiful piece of rainbow rock (if it'll fit in the tank). I'm going to pirate (hehe...pun intended) some jungle val out of my 55gal for plants, and possibly get some anacharis (depends on how it looks). The background is going to be dark blue. What I'm having a problem with is the substrate.

I know I don't want to leave it the Moonlight Sand. The white is way too hard to keep clean and I just don't think it'll look good with the rainbow rock and Dirk's coloring (he's a very...interesting marble). I have black Tahitian Moonlight sand and orange sand from Petco (they call the color "sienna": http://www.petco.com/product/115879/Petco-Sienna-Aquarium-Sand.aspx).

This is the ship bubbler (best pic I have of it):
    [​IMG]
    The rainbow rock is the piece in the middle of this tank:
    [​IMG]
    And this is Dirk (best pics I have, sorry!...the parts that look kind of whitish-blue are actually metallic green):
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

So, any thoughts? I was thinking of maybe mixing the black and white sands? What about the orange? Think I could mix it in too?

2. I_Have_Fissues Initiate Member

The scape looks awesome as it is, methinks. I really dig the skulls and driftwood. Regarding the lack of lid, you might want to remedy that. At least get a cheap screen lid from Walmart or something; you don't want your fishies to jump out.

Anyway, maybe mix black and white for some effect, or maybe add some certain color of acrylic stones into the sand? I dunno. You already look like you've got it in the bag... what do you need advice for? :)

3. bassbonediva Fishlore VIP Member

My biggest complaint about the scape as it was was the white sand. It NEVER stayed clean!

The lack of lid has been remedied, but I still don't want to have Dirk in the 20gL. It's going to be a community tank and I don't want to have any issues with him.

Anyway, I needed advice because I am incredibly indecisive and I like to hear other people's opinions. I got tired of waiting for an answer on here, so I went ahead and mixed the black and white sands. Waiting for the water to settle so I can see what the heck it looks like. lol

4. Donnerjay Well Known Member Member

Hello again.

I bought some Sienna sand from PetCo about two weeks ago. What an absolute mess. I expected to rinse it over and over again (it is sand, after all), but I did not like how the rust color stained my bucket. So for now, I'm sticking with gravel. I have a package of the Tahitian Moon Sand, but after having rust-like stains everywhere from the Sienna, I'm not sure anymore if I want to go the sand route.

Anyway, have fun scaping! :)

5. bassbonediva Fishlore VIP Member

The Tahitian Moon sand that I've used has been easy to clean and didn't leave any colored stains anywhere. My only complaint about the CaribSea sands is that they are sooooo incredibly fine that it's like working with mud if it's wet.

6. learninmo Member Member

gonna be pretty. my only thought, is the two parallel driftwoods distract and pull focus up and out of tank...could you put driftwood down towards the bottom as was before?

7. psalm18.2 Fishlore Legend Member

I think the middle tank is showing the rock, that's not the tank in the 1st photo.