Help Cycling New Tank Help

1. Kerryy

Kerryy Initiate Member

I am planning on moving my Betta from the 5 gallon tank he’s currently in, into a new 6 gallon tank. I know it’s not much of a size difference but the 6 g has more specs and just looks better all around.

My question is how would I go about cycling the new tank? The 5 g tank is cycled so do I use that filter on the new tank? I would assume going filterless would cause some problems in the old tank. Do I just start from scratch and cycle the new tank the long way?
    What would be the best course of action to take? I appreciate the help!

2. Bithimala

Bithimala Fishlore VIP Member

Will the filter from the 5 fit on the 6? If so, just move it over with all the media. If it won't fit, just pull all the media out and move it into the filter for the 6. :)

3. TexasDomer

TexasDomer Fishlore Legend Member

If you move the filter from the 5 gal to the 6 gal with the betta, it'll instantly cycle the tank. Are you putting anything in the 5 gal after moving the betta out?

4. OP
    OP
    Kerryy

Kerryy Initiate Member

Yeah it’ll fit. Thanks!

Oh I didn’t know it’d instantly cycle it, looks like I’ll just move the filter to the new tank :) And no I won’t be using the 5 g for anything.

5. Bithimala

Bithimala Fishlore VIP Member

The majority of the beneficial bacteria that creates the cycle lives in your filter media, so basically moving it over means you're set.

6. TexasDomer

TexasDomer Fishlore Legend Member

And if you don't need the 5 gal to be cycled, then you don't need to worry about doing anything else :)