Help creating a gentle current with filters/powerheads

Discussion in 'Filters and Filtration' started by Mmbrown, Jul 19, 2015.

1. Mmbrown

MmbrownWell Known MemberMember

Hello!

I have a 20 long aquarium that currently houses 3 ADFs and some plants.

The filter I have been using (old, cheap submersible) puts out a very calm, basically nonexistent current, which is great for the frogs but has been a real detriment to my plants. The plants are low light/low maintenance, but still they need more flow than totally stagnant water. Also the flow was so low that dust settled on the top of the water often. Gross.

I added a second filter (another old, cheap submersible) and the current was way too strong. I baffled it and we were back you having too little current.

I was wondering if you guys had suggestions for new setups (filters, powerheads, anything) that might give me the current I'm looking for, or better yet, suggestions of how to change around what I already have. My goal is a slight current such that I can see the plants waving slightly in the water, but such that the frogs are not simultaneously feeling blown away.

Thanks!

2. Jswin

JswinWell Known MemberMember

An air stone can make a slight current. Or a small low gph power head like 100 or less. You could angle the power head so the current is bouncing off a wall

Last edited: Jul 19, 2015
  3. Nympxzie

NympxzieValued MemberMember

Aquaclear filters have adjustable flow that you can play around with.

4. Bluestreakfl

BluestreakflWell Known MemberMember

Id recommend a small powerhead, or a filter with adjustable flow or spray bar. With Any aquatic Amphibians, you want to avoid airstones, they are ultra sensitive to vibrations, and having a bubbler of any kind will usually stress them out. For them its the equivalent of having a construction worker in your home with a jackhammer on constantly.

5. Theman1

Theman1Valued MemberMember

I agree with Bluestreakfl. I just purchased a top fin internal filter for my planted high tech 40 breeder. I really like it. It has a small spray bar and the flow is adjustable. Here is the link of the one I got.

6. matsungit

matsungitWell Known MemberMember

Zoo Med Powersweep swivels side to side and isn't very powerful.

7. OP
    OP
    Mmbrown

MmbrownWell Known MemberMember

Thanks everyone! I will look into all of these options :)

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice