Help!! Crayfish eggs

Tinytanya

Reaction score
My electric blue crayfish has eggs and they are fuzzy and I’m pretty sure not fertile.. it’s been over two weeks and she still hasn’t dropped them yet! She isn’t eating and she stays pretty much in her log most of the time. She came out the other day and ran frantically around the tank and kept running over the air stone to the point she was letting it flip her upside down. What am I suppose to do? Is she going to drop the eggs? Do I have to somehow get the eggs off of her myself? Shouldn’t she have dropped them by now? What if she continues to not eat? I’m worried and this is my first experience with this situation.. someone please help and give me some advice!! I’ve googled it a few times but can’t find anything about what is going on with her right now!! Please HELP!!!

richie.p

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
First of all calm down it can take up to 6 weeks for them to hatch depending on species, its normal for her to stay in her hide just drop a little food at the entrance at night if it's there in the morning take it out but dont spook her, water changes are a weekly must. Some babies will cling to mom for a few days when they hatch, if she moults early she will loose the eggs, if you can take photos that would help, dont try and remove the eggs
Edit
Put your crayfish photos that belong this thread here you can leave the others on the crayfish photo section

Tinytanya

Reaction score
This is what her eggs look like.. they are fuzzy and orange/yellow colors.. someone else on here said they don’t look fertile.. she’s still moving them back and forth as if to get water/air through them

Attachments

richie.p

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
There are varying colours in those eggs and I cant see any eyes so just give it time, heres one of mine that looks similar to yours, your lighter eggs may not have survived but the darker one low down look ok

Attachments

H Farnsworth

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
Make sure to keep nitrates low for the next 5-6 weeks

Tinytanya

Reaction score
How do I keep them low?? I mean I have a test kit and I know how to test the water but how to make sure they stay low??

This is the first time I’ve had anything other than just fish so I’m a little out of my element here.. I can keep a betta alive for 6-8 years but crayfish I’m new at.. but I’m learning a lot!! Never expected her to have babies.. we only have one!!

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Aquarium Photo Contests

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom