HELP: Cracked 100 gallon Bow Front

Discussion in 'Freshwater Aquarium Builds' started by Leafray, Aug 7, 2015.

1. LeafrayValued MemberMember

NEED HELP ASAP
    Hey guys,
    One oft friends have a huge 100-125 gallon bow front tank that has a crack in it side that they are willing to give to me for free. This tank has EVERYTHING so it's quite a steal. Just wondering if I could fix the crack with sealcone. Some info I the crack. It's on the side, closer to the front. Part of the crack has penetrated the tank so it's not a scratch. It's about 4-5 inches long and is a single crack, no spiderwebbing yet... So my question is if I could still fix the crack? Or is it worthless to try? ImageUploadedByFish Lore Aquarium Fish Forum1438978902.534084.jpg
    The line on the left is the crack itself...
    Please need opinions ASAP, because otherwise, they will throw it away.
    Thanks

Sent from my iPhone using Fish Lore Aquarium Fish Forum

2. Coradee

CoradeeModeratorModerator Member

I wouldn't risk a repair on a tank that size, 100+ gallons of water on your living room floor if it gave way would be a disaster, if I were you I'd pass on the offer

3. Jsigmo

JsigmoWell Known MemberMember

Well, you could throw the tank itself away, and keep the "everything" and use it all with a new tank.

If, by "everything ", you mean filters, lights, etc.

Petco. Buck a Gallon sale. ;)

Geeze. Youd think I worked for them or something.

4. OP
    OP
    L

LeafrayValued MemberMember

They also have a 72 gallon bow front with similar problems, would that be ok?

5. Coradee

CoradeeModeratorModerator Member

I'd personally not risk repairs on larger tanks.
    You could replace the side glass, it's probably just me but I'd always be worrying whether it'd give way

6. BDpups

BDpupsWell Known MemberMember

There is no way to repair that. The water pressure will burst any patch you could put on there. I'd take the equipment if it's quality stuff and is in good shape if they are willing to give it to you.

Same with the 72.

Sent from my iPhone with my fingers.

7. OP
    OP
    L

Great thanks guys! The equipment is as follows, two fluval canister filters ( don't know why they had two ) two aqueon 110's, a HUGE air pump with 6 openings, air tubes, algae magnet scrapers, eco complete substrate or something, plant ferts, whole co2 thing with refillable co2, air stones. Sand, fish food, filter media, stand, hood, lights, driftwood, rocks, heaters. There is also a ten gallon tank spilling with plants, and I don't know why, a twenty gallon sump... Also he has a gold arowana that he wants to give me and some discus and breeder boxes.... So yah I'll just take the supplies. :D

8. BDpups

BDpupsWell Known MemberMember

Leafray

Gold arowana? Where are you from?

9. AmazonPassion

AmazonPassionModeratorModerator Member

I agree, I wouldn't risk it.

It is a steal because there is a crack and that is hard to fix.

10. BornThisWayBettas

BornThisWayBettasFishlore VIPMember

I agree with all the others. Too much of a risk, especially if you got it filled with water and substrate and décor and fish before it decided to "burst". The damage and loss would be horrible, and it would take you hours to mop up all that water and clean up all the glass and décor and substrate and try to save whatever fish you could save. Especially if it happened while you were on vacation....... okay, I think you get the idea lol. ;)

11. SnyperTodd

SnyperToddValued MemberMember

If the crack is on a side panel, I wouldn't be the least bit worried about replacing that panel. If it's a 155 bowfront (it probably is, 100-125g isn't a common glass bowfront size) the cost would be well worth it. I've had tanks apart, replaced parts of them, resealed them, and as of yet never had one leak. I haven't replaced a panel on one that big, but I have resealed very large tanks with excellent results. Personally, I'd go for it...

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Fish Lore Aquarium Fish Forum mobile app

12. OP
    OP
    L

In MN, I don't know how my friend got a gold arowana.... I didn't know he had one until he asked me, he's helping his friend relocate his I guess.

I got the supplies, helping my friend sell it, storing it for the time being. It's a custom made Bowfront so it's SUPER tall! I personally am not good with glass so just hoping that someone with talents can come along and renew it!

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 16, 2015

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice