HELP!!! Crack in Fish Tank

ammaar

Hey guys, I have a 5 gallon tank which I used to keep my guppies. Yesterday I have noticed a crack on the bottom of the tank. (after cleaning it.) The thickness of glass is 6mm. The tank is kept on floor above a Styrofoam. I have noticed no leaking issues. It it okay to leave at it is or should I do something. I definitely can't afford a new one. :( But I'm scared if it blasts
These are some of the photos of it.

Attachments

• IMGPRO_20220820_063541.jpg
    IMGPRO_20220820_063541.jpg
    95.6 KB · Views: 21
  • IMGPRO_20220820_063505.jpg
    IMGPRO_20220820_063505.jpg
    115.1 KB · Views: 21
  • IMGPRO_20220820_063556.jpg
    IMGPRO_20220820_063556.jpg
    99.3 KB · Views: 21

jtjgg

should be ok.

do you have a large plastic storage container?

KingOscar

I'd be careful. Moving or handling the tank, or aggressively pressing while cleaning the glass can cause the crack to spread.

wateriswet

Could you buy some GE silicone 1 (that's the kind with no mold inhibitors and is safe for aquariums)? And find a rigid piece of plastic like a CD case? If so, then move your fish and their water into a dedicated fish only bucket (not one you've used for mopping or the like) and completely drain the tank with a siphon. Don't move the tank with water in it!

One the tank is completely empty, dry it out inside then use the silicone to glue the plastic in place over the crack inside the aquarium. The first few minutes of this video show how.

Then keep your eyes open for the dollar per gallon sales and see about upgrading to a 10 gallon in a few months

ammaar

should be ok.

do you have a large plastic storage container?
I have
Could you buy some GE silicone 1 (that's the kind with no mold inhibitors and is safe for aquariums)? And find a rigid piece of plastic like a CD case? If so, then move your fish and their water into a dedicated fish only bucket (not one you've used for mopping or the like) and completely drain the tank with a siphon. Don't move the tank with water in it!

One the tank is completely empty, dry it out inside then use the silicone to glue the plastic in place over the crack inside the aquarium. The first few minutes of this video show how.

Then keep your eyes open for the dollar per gallon sales and see about upgrading to a 10 gallon in a few months
I did exactly. Now i have let it to dry. But it spread alot nearly to end of the replaced plastic piece.

Fisch

If it spread I would call the tank doomed and in need of replacement now.

ammaar

It stop spreading. I kept it on a Styrofoam. tested 24hours with water and no crack or leaks

Fisch

How may gallons of water potentially on the floor ;)
Best of luck!

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
Aquaphobia
  • Question
Replies
Views
Karmie121506
  • Question
Replies
Views