15 Gallon Tank HELP!! Crack in aquarium !!

aquascapebetta

HELP MY TANK HAS A CRACK. I just noticed a small crack near the corner of my Aqueon 14 gallon rimless cube. I will attach a photo. It does not seem to reach the corner but I can feel the crack from the outside. I’m wondering if this is an immediate emergency that has compromised the integrity of the aquarium. I’ve already concluded I will likely have to tear down the tank. Please help if you know anything about rimless aquariums or cracks.

Attachments

• 44B92582-9185-4D42-AEE3-16F5514439A6.jpeg
    44B92582-9185-4D42-AEE3-16F5514439A6.jpeg
    188.2 KB · Views: 78
  • 5D6EE095-3F63-43F6-A911-8ECBBC82D1FD.jpeg
    5D6EE095-3F63-43F6-A911-8ECBBC82D1FD.jpeg
    201.3 KB · Views: 76

cichlidL

Yikes! Unfortunately, you’ll probably need to evacuate the fish and tear down the aquarium.

mattgirl

Fishlore Legend
If you are sure it is a crack and not just a surface scratch I will advise you replace it sooner rather than later. You don't want to have to clean up 14 gallons of water and have to repair the damage it can leave behind.

A201

Fishlore VIP
Before you take drastic action, make sure you're dealing with a crack rather than a scratch.
There's no repairing a crack. Scratches are usually just unsightly, but harmless.

MarkMurphy

To be honest, it looks like a hair! scrape it with your fingernail

kallililly1973

Fishlore Legend
If you can feel it with your fingernail I wouldn’t risk it. Just replace it.. cheaper than repairing and replacing damage to everything under it.

NearMeBettas

Well Known
If your sure its a crack, replace it right away. I had 5 gallons leek onto my floor from my 20g (Thankfully it was only five) and it flooded the crawlspace in the house. Not a good deal.

jaysurf7

If its just a lil scratch I wouldn't worry much but would still be cautious but Any crack is cause for concern ASAP ,since its not leaking now I would just buy a brand new 14 gallon and tear the tank down. Just to be safe side because over it can and probably will leak.I just wouldn't chance it i had a 60 gal spring a leak a while back and it was a mess.i would feel more peace if mind buying a new tank.

GatlingGun

You could also try moving the substrate away from the inside and feeling if it’s actually a crack that way.

OP
aquascapebetta

aquascapebetta

Thank you everyone so much for your replies! I was absolutely panicking. I ended up calling aqueon as it’s an aqueon tank, and I sent the same pictures, and they recommended using a razor blade to make sure it wasn’t extra sealant. I hesitated and didn’t try this earlier because I felt so confident that it was at least a scratch, but I complied and omg!! It came right off. I’ve never felt so relieved. Thank you all for the help. I will definitely always have a back up tank after this scare
You were right! It was a ‘hair’ of the sealant!
You could also try moving the substrate away from the inside and feeling if it’s actually a crack that way.
I did this and couldn’t feel it on this inside which let me go to sleep that night haha

JTW

I ran into this exact scenario last year. It really freaked me out until I started scratching it from the inside and discovered it was just messy sealant.

RayClem

Well Known
Cracks are typically fatal, but a light scratch may not be not a huge deal. However, if the scratch compromizes the integrity of the joint between panes of glass, then it is an issue. Small aquariums like your 14 gallon have very thin glass, so there is little surface area for the silicone adhesive sealant to bond.

Karmie121506

HELP MY TANK HAS A CRACK. I just noticed a small crack near the corner of my Aqueon 14 gallon rimless cube. I will attach a photo. It does not seem to reach the corner but I can feel the crack from the outside. I’m wondering if this is an immediate emergency that has compromised the integrity of the aquarium. I’ve already concluded I will likely have to tear down the tank. Please help if you know anything about rimless aquariums or cracks.
I know there is soil or whatever that stuff is but go on the opposite side and feel if you can find something on both sides of the glass. If it's scratched on both sides you can put some aquarium glue over it but you would be better of just buying a new one

Similar Aquarium Threads

• Question
Replies
Views
KribensisLover1
Replies
Views
goldface
Replies
Views
Rivieraneo
Replies
Views
ThreeDogeMoon
Replies
Views
saltwater60

Did You Know...

There are products you can use to reduce nitrates? CindiL has a review of several nitrate reducing products here:
Review of Nitrate Reducers

Aquarium Calculator

Top Bottom