Help, corydoras are missing mouth barbs and one is bleeding

Rhyver

Recently,I have notice that my Cory’s have no mouth barbs and that this on is bleeding from its mouth is the lack of barbs from inbreeding or is the substrate to sharp, I cannot remember if they had barbs when I got them please help, sincerely Rhyver. Ps could they be getting bullied? I have eight silver tip tetras and one angelfish 215litre tank

55F9D6AE-503B-4B72-9257-A63EDE558138.jpeg
image.jpg
should I put a layer of fine sand over the top?

Flyfisha

Oh dear Rhyver that doesn’t look good.
The substrate is not helping at all. I will not say it’s only the substrate causing the problem, but I will say the substrate is definitely partly to blame. Now IF there is a bacteria infection on the open wounds I can’t say for certain but the substrate is continuing to open the wounds.

I had albino corydoras on fine man made quarts gravel myself for months before admitting I had a problem. Once off the sharp quarts the barbells did grow back on those fish that survived.

I would suggest you find a way of getting the corydoras on to sand. A bare
bottom tank is not ideal at this time ether unless you can keep the glass very clean. That is a serious infection on the fish with blood. Multiple water changes over many weeks MAY see an improvement but I don’t like your chances of a recovery.

The only medication I have available in my country and consequently have any experience with is IAL , Rooibus tea and multiple fresh water changes.

Edit ,
I don’t know if inbreeding is a contributing factor sorry.

Noroomforshoe

I Dont know for sure. If you ont have other bottom-dwelling fish I personally would blame the substrate. Rough substrate is a huge problem for bottom-feeding fish. I have used smooth natural-type gravel with my loaches for as long as I have had them, and I have watched their barbles. If it were me, I would change the substrate and stress coat with aloe, and keep the water extra clean for a few months.

FishDin

My corys, in 2 tanks did fine on Eco Complete. Their barbels were always long and healthy. I know many say that the rough substrate will destroy their their barbels. That hasn't been my experience.

I'm not saying it can't happen

Do barbels grow back? I don't know. If they do, you could put them in a bare bottom quaentine tank and let them grow back. That should give you some confidence that it was the rough substrate that caused the problem.
Here is an interesting link about barbel errosion:

Genus Corydoras: general notes | The Skeptical Aquarist

DoubleDutch

I think this is a bacterial issue and not a substrate issue (maybe the substrate adds to the bacterial issue) Even barebottom tanks can cause issues alike and are dreadfull for Corys.

The barbells of these fish won't grow back in my opinion and even doubt the fish will survive. Does it still eat?

Peaches1710

From the research I have done, the substrate was the initial problem which caused the sensitive barbels to be worn down and repetitively damaged. This then led to small cuts and injuries on the barbels which THEN became infected with the never ending presence of bacteria in our tanks. They are not able to grow back or recover because the substrate is keeping the wounds raw and preventing healing (the blood is proof of this).
I would suggest you immediately:
- Put them on fine sand (cover your substrate in 1cm worth of sand and don't move them to another tank - this will only add to the stress and the changes in environment will make it worse).
- Dose your tank with double the usual required Stress Coat Aloe Vera.
- Do regular water changes (25-30% every 2-3 days until the problem is solved) to keep the water as clean as possible and promote natural healing.
- Treat the tank with an appropriate medication targeted to healing wounds/repairing bacterial+fungal infections (there are many brands and types that others with more experience in medication can help you with).
- Feed soft bottom feeder foods that they can easily eat and find without having to scavenge excessively for (this will discourage further digging in the gravel/sand)
It might be too late as it seems like some serious, irreversible damage had been done. However, do not beat yourself up too much - the good thing is that you noticed the issue and are acting upon it. The best you can do now is follow these steps and the steps others here have given you and it'll be the best bet to get your fishies better.
Good luck!
I also don't think the barbels will grow back but they might develop stubs, that are definitely not ideal and will make feeding in the future alot harder for them, but will at least be an improvement to the current situation.

Rhyver

Thank you all for the advice. I shall put some less rough Sand over top of my old stuff as I am not able to get another tank, I will also add stress coat and do an extra water change every week, and I thank u all for the advice, regards Rhyver
I think this is a bacterial issue and not a substrate issue (maybe the substrate adds to the bacterial issue) Even barebottom tanks can cause issues alike and are dreadfull for Corys.

The barbells of these fish won't grow back in my opinion and even doubt the fish will survive. Does it still eat?
I believe it still eats, but the angelfish pinches there food sometimes but I give them enough so they can still eat

Also they hide away and I can’t usually see them when they eat
From the research I have done, the substrate was the initial problem which caused the sensitive barbels to be worn down and repetitively damaged. This then led to small cuts and injuries on the barbels which THEN became infected with the never ending presence of bacteria in our tanks. They are not able to grow back or recover because the substrate is keeping the wounds raw and preventing healing (the blood is proof of this).
I would suggest you immediately:
- Put them on fine sand (cover your substrate in 1cm worth of sand and don't move them to another tank - this will only add to the stress and the changes in environment will make it worse).
- Dose your tank with double the usual required Stress Coat Aloe Vera.
- Do regular water changes (25-30% every 2-3 days until the problem is solved) to keep the water as clean as possible and promote natural healing.
- Treat the tank with an appropriate medication targeted to healing wounds/repairing bacterial+fungal infections (there are many brands and types that others with more experience in medication can help you with).
- Feed soft bottom feeder foods that they can easily eat and find without having to scavenge excessively for (this will discourage further digging in the gravel/sand)
It might be too late as it seems like some serious, irreversible damage had been done. However, do not beat yourself up too much - the good thing is that you noticed the issue and are acting upon it. The best you can do now is follow these steps and the steps others here have given you and it'll be the best bet to get your fishies better.
Good luck!
I also don't think the barbels will grow back but they might develop stubs, that are definitely not ideal and will make feeding in the future alot harder for them, but will at least be an improvement to the current situation.
What should I start feeding them?

DoubleDutch

Have to correct my statement here.

Only noticed now we're talking about Eco Complete. Can't wrap my mind arojnd it but over the years there are reported several issues of Corys on Eco Complete.

Just an observation and nothing more so far !

Rhyver

Update” I have got some melodic and finer gravel, aswell as some prime thank you all for the advice.

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
Aquaphobia
Replies
Views
mitchellh97
Replies
Views
BarbTX
Replies
Views