Help, cory with fuzzy tail

TheDustyRain

I don’t know why this happened what’s going on with this guy should I get him into my quarantine tank with some medicine or what’s up with his poofy thing there on his tail area there’s another guy like him next to him that is fine everyone else in this tank is fine he’s been like this for at least a month but the fuzz grew

Attachments

• 9DEB2B73-447A-43EF-9056-A48431459CAB.jpeg
    9DEB2B73-447A-43EF-9056-A48431459CAB.jpeg
    178.2 KB · Views: 21
  • 8FE931FE-C4AE-4F04-9E76-96465DB3DEA3.jpeg
    8FE931FE-C4AE-4F04-9E76-96465DB3DEA3.jpeg
    176.1 KB · Views: 22
  • 52620FB8-7793-4188-8CCE-32EAB05347DF.jpeg
    52620FB8-7793-4188-8CCE-32EAB05347DF.jpeg
    179.3 KB · Views: 18

Wouldratherwatchaquarium

If possible to quarantine I would. Not sure on exact condition but looks to be a wool fungus.

Fill in emergency template. That will help people diagnose and see if there is a problem or cause.

Upvote 0

TheDustyRain

Thank you I’ll move him then fill out the template asap

Upvote 0

TheDustyRain

Tank
What is the water volume of the tank? 60 gallons
How long has the tank been running? 36 gallon of it was from a tank that we transferred it was originally set up since January, the other gallons since Memorial Day ish
Does it have a filter? Yes two
Does it have a heater? Yes
What is the water temperature? 75
What is the entire stocking of this tank? (Please list all fish and inverts.)
One big mystery snail
1-5 ghost shrimp
20-30 Ramhorn snails
3 kuluhi loaches
2 stripped black and white loaches
A female beta
A few medium sized glow fish idk their names can show pictures if needed
2 rainbow shark
1 Bali shark?
4 dwarf Gouramis
2 mollies
4 danios
3 glass something my boyfriend got
5 fancy tailed little top swimmers
3 Siamese Alge eaters
1 Golden alge eater
1 Nerite snail
3 catfish looking bottom feeders
2 albino catfish looking bottom feeder

Maintenance
How often do you change the water? I’ve done two partial water changes since Memorial Day there 36 gallon was 30-40% water change monthly
How much of the water do you change? 1/4
What do you use to treat your water? Top fin conditioner api proper ph
Do you vacuum the substrate or just the water? Both

*Parameters - Very Important
Did you cycle your tank before adding fish? Yes
What do you use to test the water? Api 5-in1
What are your parameters? We need to know the exact numbers, not just “fine” or “safe”.
Ammonia: 0
Nitrite: .5
Nitrate: 30
pH: 6.5

Feeding
How often do you feed your fish? Flakes 2x a day, sinking pellets 1x Day
How much do you feed your fish? A little pinch
What brand of food do you feed your fish? Wardley tropical fish flakes,api bottom feeder pellets with shrimp
Do you feed frozen or freeze-dried foods? No

Illness & Symptoms
How long have you had this fish? Since October last year
How long ago did you first notice these symptoms? About a month (before they switched tank)
In a few words, can you explain the symptoms? First I noticed he had no tail and then I noticed it was fuzzy and then out of nowhere it just turned into a pom-pom
Have you started any treatment for the illness? I put him in a quarantine tank
Was your fish physically ill or injured upon purchase? No
How has its behavior and appearance changed, if at all? Just the tail thing and he looks very very white I mean I know he’s albino but he’s whiter than normal

Upvote 0

Wouldratherwatchaquarium

OK

So looking at your water readings there is an issue with the Nitrites. 0.5 isn't huge issue but it should be 0.

A reading of nitrites probably means you have too high of a bioload. 60 gallons is a big tank but that is ALOT of fish and inverts. I'm guessing you have been adding them over time wich is good but your cycle is struggling to process all the waste produced.

25% water changes monthly is not enough in my opinion. Most would do a higher percentage weekly. I think do more water changes as a priority, the water conditions will improve which will help a long way in preventing illness in the fish

Regarding your albino Cory.. Looking at the pic and the list of tank mates. I suspect its Had its tail bitten off or damaged and then the fungus has grown.

Upvote 0

TheDustyRain

So the water changes, this is confusing but… I didn’t want an aquarium cuz the upkeep is so much but the fiancé insisted he’d take care of his 36 gallon, when he stopped I stepped in but I had already set up my two of my own 10 gallon 1 with a crawfish in it and one with bamboo shrimp and danios and snails (my peaceful tank I call it). Sadly my crawfish didn’t make it through her last molt so I took over the 36 gallon and then I went to the pet store saw a GREAT sale on a Sixty gallon so I got it and put the 36 into the 60 and the 36 is empty right now..

I did about a 30% water changes Monday then I did another about 40% water changes yesterday and the water is super clean now, I kept one of those ten gallons set up as a quarantine tank cuz, well it’s there why not use it. So al (the Cory we’re talking about) is in that. Should I put this stuff I has gotten when my beta had some fin rot pimafix? Or if there’s another medicine for his fuzzy tail

Thank you all for the help I appreciate it so much

I didn’t want to deal with all this but I love my Sixty gallon tank so much I’m now all about this

Upvote 0
Top Bottom