Help! Cory Cats Turned White.

Melmoth666

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Has anyone had Cory cats turn from brown to white? I think it is stress. I keep the light off 90% of the time and it doesn't look like any fish is bothering them. **Also the other two Cory's are fine. Their color is intact and they are behaving like Cory;s should**

55G
NH3 0
Nitrate 0
Nitrite 0
PH 7.3

Temp 78.1

25-30% water change every 4-5 days (just changed water 05-29-19

Tank mates 2 Emerald Sailfin Corys, 6 Serpae Tetra, 4 Blackskirt Tetra,
Tank is 3 months old

Here is a pic. When I bought them 6 weeks ago they were brown

Attachments

Last edited:

Coradee

Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Hi, corys can change their colour to a degree to try & blend in with the substrate but that isn’t the issue here.
Hard to see from the pic but it looks quite thin & not at all happy possibly a bacterial issue but diseases/ailments aren't really my thing so I’ll give @DoubleDutch a shout for you for a better opinion.
A closer pic if you can get one might help give more insight

NC122606

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Has anyone had Cory cats turn from brown to white? I think it is stress. I keep the light off 90% of the time and it doesn't look like any fish is bothering them. **Also the other two Cory's are fine. Their color is intact and they are behaving like Cory;s should**

55G
NH3 0
Nitrate 0
Nitrite 0
PH 7.3

Temp 78.1

25-30% water change every 4-5 days (just changed water 05-29-19

Tank mates 2 Emerald Sailfin Corys, 3 Serpae Tetra, 4 Blackskirt Tetra,
Tank is 3 months old

Here is a pic. When I bought them 6 weeks ago they were brown
Wait so your tank is cycled right? Because I am a bit confused about the Nitrates being at 0.

Melmoth666

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Wait so your tank is cycled right? Because I am a bit confused about the Nitrates being at 0.
Pretty sure its cycled. But its weird because I have never measured more than .25, and that was in the early days when I was cycling. I use test strips for my day-to-day testing and those always comeback colorless and then the liquid test kit before my water change every week. My LFS has no answer, but thinks I must be cycled because I don;t have any spikes and all my fish seem to be doing well, except for the 2 white Corys. I have not had any die accept for a black skirt tetra, that the others blackskirts killled for some reason--- I am way under stocked. Only 12 total fish, 16" of fish, in a 55 Gal, plus I have an Eheim (2215 meant for 100G), and I change my water 30% every 5-7 days. I just don;t know.

Attachments

Ridilen

Valued Member
Reaction score
I had this happen to my Pandas and Juliis. It turned out to be Columnaris. I lost about 12 fish to it. I finally added some water treatment and it saved the rest of my corys and BMPs. Don't know about you, but one by one they started dying. Once they looked sick it was less than 12 hours. Good luck.

Melmoth666

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
I had this happen to my Pandas and Juliis. It turned out to be Columnaris. I lost about 12 fish to it. I finally added some water treatment and it saved the rest of my corys and BMPs. Don't know about you, but one by one they started dying. Once they looked sick it was less than 12 hours. Good luck.
This one has been white for about a month now. But they are not actiing sick, eating swimming, etc...just look dreadful

RSababady

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
I think you have two issues on hand:
  1. the tank isn't cycled / you have lost your cycle. Your readings NH3 0; Nitrate 0; Nitrite 0 don't seem right.
  2. the cories have a bacterial infection - best to move them to a QT tank and treat them. Any medicine you put in your main tank to treat bacteria will affect your BB in your filter as you try to cycle it.
Recommend you address the two issues seperately.

Melmoth666

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
I think you have two issues on hand:
  1. the tank isn't cycled / you have lost your cycle. Your readings NH3 0; Nitrate 0; Nitrite 0 don't seem right.
  2. the cories have a bacterial infection - best to move them to a QT tank and treat them. Any medicine you put in your main tank to treat bacteria will affect your BB in your filter as you try to cycle it.
Recommend you address the two issues seperately.
Which bacterial infection do you think it is? They are not exhibiting any symptoms of columnaris. Like I said they are eating and swimming regularly, the one has been white for at least 30-40 days, the eyes are not bulging, appear to fine, there are no spots or excess mucus.

I am quarantining them tonight, then I will address my cycle, but if I am out of cycle shouldn;t I see ammonia spikes?

DoubleDutch

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Sorry to say but most (all) Corys that turned white over the years at this forum died. I am not quite sure what is causing it but expecting internal bacterial issues.
The diet seems to be okay.

The other Cory in the pic (colored) is an C.aeneus as well (green).

Of topic (slightly) :
The substrate is a serious issue.
They will not be able to scavage for food as they like to. The smallest parts will get out of reach quite easy. If changing it completely isn't an option think about a sandbeach for them.

Melmoth666

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Sorry to say but most (all) Corys that turned white over the years at this forum died. I am not quite sure what is causing it but expecting internal bacterial issues.
The diet seems to be okay.

The other Cory in the pic (colored) is an C.aeneus as well (green).

Of topic (slightly) :
The substrate is a serious issue.
They will not be able to scavage for food as they like to. The smallest parts will get out of reach quite easy. If changing it completely isn't an option think about a sandbeach for them.
Thanks for weighing in. Yes. I am aware of the substrate problem, I have been compensating by over feeding on the pellets, then vaccuuming up the extra the next day. But will put sand in the quarantine tank tonight and hope for the best. Can you please share an example of a beach solution for my main tank?

DoubleDutch

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Thanks for weighing in. Yes. I am aware of the substrate problem, I have been compensating by over feeding on the pellets, then vaccuuming up the extra the next day. But will put sand in the quarantine tank tonight and hope for the best. Can you please share an example of a beach solution for my main tank?
Sorry I don't have examples right here (mine are completely on sand). Maybe other members have these.

Melmoth666

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
UPDATE: One of the Cory's is dead. He died while I was prepping the hospital tank. The other Cory is missing....I am going to do a 50% water change today and try to find him.

I talked to my LFS and they said they think my tank is cycled because I have had 12 fish in there for 3 months and no nitrogen spikes. (I am not using any chemicals other than Prime, Stress Coat, and Seed when I do water changes. The owner of the store said that he thinks with such a low bioload in the 55 Gallons with such a powerful filter + the Seed will be eating up the ammonia as quickly as its produced and because I am changing 30% every few days the nitrates are getting tossed out and coming back at very small levels that won't show up on the strips, but will on the liquid tests. (I tested at the LFS and my Nitrates... were <5 PPM barely triggered the inidactor. He suggested overfeeding for a few days and holding off on a water change (after this upcoming) and watching closely to see if I can get the ammonia level up a bit.

He also called a vet that he uses to ask about the Cory's. He thinks that it was probably bacterial too--but it was strange that it took 6+ weeks to kill them. I sent pics of my other fish and he thinks they all look okay, for now, and suggested I watch them closely for the next couple of weeks.

the Cory was my first death from disease in the tank.

Dch48

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
He very likely had the problem when you got him if all the other fish are okay. Maybe it was parasites.

Toggle Sidebar

UV Sterilizers Worth It?

• Yes

Votes: 19 24.4%
  • No

Votes: 7 9.0%
  • IDK - never used one before

Votes: 52 66.7%

Top Bottom