HELP!!! Cory baby overload!! What to do???

Meredith

Hello all,

A few weeks ago my Cory cats laid eggs for the second time (the first batch was promptly devoured). I put them in their own 6g tank, 12 hatched and 10 survived. A couple days ago she laid a bunch more. I decided to leave them to be eaten because I barely have room for the 10 I have even with multiple tanks. Today I gathered up the eggs that hadn't been eaten to dispose of, assuming they were infertile. NOPE. I scraped them off the walls of the tank with a credit card and into a tupperwear container with a bit of water. They INSTANTLY all hatched. At least a hundred of them. They were only laid 3 days ago so I didn't expect this. I can't kill them now that they're alive and swimming. I don't know what to do.

I'll raise them until they're big enough to donate to the pet store... But what do I do about future eggs????? Waiting for their parents and the neons to eat them didn't work this time. Maybe I should have scraped them off and disposed of them immediately?? I feel bad. And now that I have 10 Cories who are slowly getting bigger, I'm just picturing a tank covered in eggs and being overwhelmed.

What should I do about future spawning? I only have the two Cories in that tank and I've had them for over a year (in a 10g up until recently) they only started laying eggs after I upgraded to the 20g.

I'd feel guilty letting them hatch and then get eaten right away... But I guess that's nature? I don't know what to do. Any advice is welcomed thanks!

fallfever

Definitely scrape the eggs when you first see them. There is also a chance the fry will become food for the tank as well if you keep them there (can't help with the guilt). You can add more cories who are more likely to eat the eggs, add a larger fish who will help, or separate the parents. You can also raise and sell cories. Such a popular fish. Learn how to ship and make a little money in the process. I've never had issues with eggs since all of my cories are with larger fish who won't pass up a meal.

Upvote 0

Meredith

Definitely scrape the eggs when you first see them. There is also a chance the fry will become food for the tank as well if you keep them there (can't help with the guilt). You can add more cories who are more likely to eat the eggs, add a larger fish who will help, or separate the parents. You can also raise and sell cories. Such a popular fish. Learn how to ship and make a little money in the process. I've never had issues with eggs since all of my cories are with larger fish who won't pass up a meal.

Thank you!! Do you have any tips/recommendations when it comes to selling? I've considered it before but would have no idea where to start

Upvote 0

fallfever

Ebay and a few supplies. Set a minimum and let folks bid. Kensfish offers all the shipping supplies you'll need and a quick youtube tutorial will teach you how to prepare and bag your fish. I had never done this prepandemic, but took up breeding HRP's for a while when I moved the business home and needed a new distraction. I never lost a fish. If I can do it, I promise you anyone can.

Upvote 0

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
Linda1234
  • Question
Replies
Views
GatlingGun
  • Question
Replies
Views