Help Coral Id Please

Johnson772

Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Hello I recently picked this beauty up from my LFS. But I’m not sure what it is. It was labeled as a montipora but I don’t think so. Any ideas?
ImageUploadedByFish Lore Aquarium Fish Forum1530125010.035897.jpg
ImageUploadedByFish Lore Aquarium Fish Forum1530125022.602436.jpg

stella1979

Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
The polyps look a little large for it to be a monti. Cyphastrea perhaps?

Edit: Well hey there fellow Floridian. Just noticed Miami FL on your profile. I'm in Homestead, so we're neighbors. What's your favorite LFS? I'm quite find of Ocean View and Reeftop.

Culprit

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
4 years
Polyps look too big to be a monti like Stella said. I was going to guess cyphastrea as well.

Johnson772

Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Howdy neighbor!
Never heard of reeftop ... I heard ocean view is really clean and good. Haven’t gone myself because it’s close to a 2 hour drive for me. I frequent something’s fishy and Beverlys.

I have a Cyphastrea frag in the tank some distance to the left in a little less light since I read they don’t like too intense light. I was under the impression cyphastrea was a encrusting coral though not platting like this coral seems to be doing. Also this one seems to like the high light it’s in.
Thanks for the replys

stella1979

Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Ahh... so you're pretty far North I guess. ReefTop is way down South of US1 and SW 136th St.

I've heard all the same things as you about Cyphastrea, and I found it strange that your coral looks like it but appeared to be plating. I've never kept it myself, but a quick search just told me there is even a variety that branches... so who knows? It doesn't look like any of my montis, and I have 2 monti caps and 2 encrusting varieties. I'm thinking you may have something more unusual there, perhaps something related to cyphastrea. I'm going to call on my favorite ID girl, because she has blown my mind more than once with all she knows. @KinsKicks

Thanks for sharing your stores. Would you say they're good options for freshwater? I've been pretty unhappy with the freshwater fish stores I have down here and am willing to drive further north. In fact, another favorite of mine is Aquarium King in Ft. Lauderdale, where they do carry some very nice freshwater fish, just not often the ones I'm looking for. I've had the toughest time finding healthy cardinal tetras locally, so I'm still on the hunt and will call your stores tomorrow.

KinsKicks

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Turbinaria peltata (Pagoda Cup Coral) .

Yours isn’t quite open all the way and may still be adjusting. When they’re well fed and happy, the little “cups” (your polyps) can open up quite wide and beautifully! Sorta like a field of flowers haha. I’d recommend biweekly feedings and you’ll see the them flourish rather than if you left them to their own devices. They can grow a bit small from stores since a lot of them don’t tend to supplement feeding.

A SUPER unique coral considered one of the “reef builders” (hermatypic); they’re really interesting because they can change their growth shape and pattern to make most out of the light recieved, so you’ll find tons of different shapes the deeper you go into water. Usually deeper water ones grow columnar and knobby while those in shallower water grow into discs/plates (but they’re the entirely the same animal) You can also get scrolls, whorls, stacking, and more lol! Super fun to have haha

stella1979

Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
I knew those polyps reminded me of something else!!! Dangit, wish I would have got this one, and I probably should have. I had a tiny frag of a Lakers Scroll some time ago. I probably didn't have sufficient lighting at the time, so it wasn't growing very fast... then a rock flower anemone took a walk right over it, killing more than half of the frag. It never recovered, even months later. I had no idea then that they were heavy eaters. I do have better lighting now though, so maybe I'll try again.

Johnson772

Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Yea a buddy of mine who works at exotic sea life IDed it as a pagoda also... in hind sight yea ... the polys retract fully into the coral when disturbed and the coral is flat. Cyphastrea has raised bumps where the polys are that you can still see when the polyp is retracted.
Thanks a bunch KinsKicks and you too stella!

Johnson772

Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
This frag is rather small (can’t tell size from picture) it’s not more then 1.5-2 in. What do you suggest I feed it. I spot feed my Caulastrea and Acan frag mysis but this cant possibly take that... do you suggest I get a product like reef roids? Or can I just mince up some brine and mysis?

stella1979

Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
My SPS seem to love Reef Roids mixed with phyto. I've also fed them 'shrimp juice' a time or two, which is the tank water I've defrosted mysis in and it contains bits of minced mysis. I think a variety is good for just about any living thing, but I can say that small polyps show a better reaction to roids and phyto.

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom