Help Confirm My 38 Gallon Stock!

Joshua Gonzalez

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
I would like to give a big thanks to the people who gave me ideas for my 38 gallon stock in my last thread. I’ve used your information and from different tank builds and forums. Now I think I have found my desired stock, well I need you guys to confirm first!

2x Angel fish (non pair)
3x sword fish
5x Platy’s
2x Bolivian rams (non pair)
8x Some kind of tetras (please recommend a tetra)

I don’t know if this is too much or maybe even too little, keep in mind this is going to be a moderately planted tank. Thanks for reading this thread!!!

NC122606

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
I would like to give a big thanks to the people who gave me ideas for my 38 gallon stock in my last thread. I’ve used your information and from different tank builds and forums. Now I think I have found my desired stock, well I need you guys to confirm first!

2x Angel fish (non pair)
3x sword fish
5x Platy’s
2x Bolivian rams (non pair)
8x Some kind of tetras (please recommend a tetra)

I don’t know if this is too much or maybe even too little, keep in mind this is going to be a moderately planted tank. Thanks for reading this thread!!!
I would do 1 Angelfish as they will beat on each other if not bonded. (I think @Crispii ?)
Swordtails are fine just keep 2:1 Female ratio beautiful fish.
Platies are same thing. (4:1 Female ratio)
Rams I think may not work but might (@Feohw ?)
Lemon Tetras for sure.

Feohw

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
I'm not too sure what the ideal temp for angels would be? The highest I would go with Bolivians would be 78 degrees. If that falls into the ideal temp range for angels and others then I would say this could work. I've heard 78 is fine for them anyway. For the rams make sure the bottom of the tank has enough decor so that they can each be in a separate area without seeing one another. If they don't pair they would appreciate areas where they won't be in constant view of each other.

Are you specifically looking for rams that won't pair? I would recommend a male/female pair.

OP
Joshua Gonzalez

Joshua Gonzalez

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
I'm not too sure what the ideal temp for angels would be? The highest I would go with Bolivians would be 78 degrees. If that falls into the ideal temp range for angels and others then I would say this could work. I've heard 78 is fine for them anyway. For the rams make sure the bottom of the tank has enough decor so that they can each be in a separate area without seeing one another. If they don't pair they would appreciate areas where they won't be in constant view of each other.

Are you specifically looking for rams that won't pair? I would recommend a male/female pair.
I just don’t want babies, plus I’m planning on getting the fish on live Aquaria and i’m not sure if you can ask for a pair.

NC122606

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
I just don’t want babies, plus I’m planning on getting the fish on live Aquaria and i’m not sure if you can ask for a pair.
I don’t think they will do sexing for them, it would be better to see them in person. Also Angelfish ideal temp is 78 - 80 F. So they should be fine with the rams.

OP
Joshua Gonzalez

Joshua Gonzalez

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
I don’t think they will do sexing for them, it would be better to see them in person. Also Angelfish ideal temp is 78 - 80 F. So they should be fine with the rams.
Ok thanks! Looks like I will need to do some fish shop research lol, i’m Guessing I will have to run around my city looking for all of them

NC122606

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Ok thanks! Looks like I will need to do some fish shop research lol, i’m Guessing I will have to run around my city looking for all of them
Yeah it really depends on where you are located. Here we have no bolivian rams because they don’t tend to sell well. I asked about them like 3 months ago and still none.

altwitch

Reaction score
Sounds like 78 could work. High end for bolivians per Feohw is right about there and that's within the lower end of fine for angels from what I know. Recently added angels to our 120g a couple weeks ago. They're hard to sex and as I understand it should a male and female try to breed things can get sporty so I'm hoping to 2x same sex individuals. So far with over 70 fish in the tank they haven't seemed aggressive at all, least of all with each other. If following the forums has taught me anything it's that fish have as much personality as people do so results may vary, but we're delighted with our 2x angels in a community tank.

OP
Joshua Gonzalez

Joshua Gonzalez

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
Yeah it really depends on where you are located. Here we have no bolivian rams because they don’t tend to sell well. I asked about them like 3 months ago and still none.
I live in Los Angeles, so I’m guessing I won’t have any issues locating my fish. Thanks again friend!

Feohw

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
The babies get gobbled up in communities and the rams don't cause harm when breeding. Same sex rams can be fine together, I have three females with my male. Others here have just males together and they do fine apparently. I have spoken to many Bolivian owners and there are those that have had problems with two males together. I always recommend a male/female pair though.
Same. They are rarer here too. Quite far from me there are amazing Bolivians where I got mine so they are popular there. It just depends on the location and the breeders.

OP
Joshua Gonzalez

Joshua Gonzalez

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
The babies get gobbled up in communities and the rams don't cause harm when breeding. Same sex rams can be fine together, I have three females with my male. Others here have just males together and they do fine apparently. I have spoken to many Bolivian owners and there are those that have had problems with two males together. I always recommend a male/female pair though.

Same. They are rarer here too. Quite far from me there are amazing Bolivians where I got mine so they are popular there. It just depends on the location and the breeders.
Thank you for that! I’ve been looking at fish stores in my area and thankfully one store has the Bolivians, angels, and platys. While another has the lemon tetras and sword tails! I think this stock is going to work perfect! I will definitely keep you all updated on the progress. Even though I am excited, I know I have to let the tank cycle for 2 weeks lol (possibly more depending on what my water test kit says).

Toggle Sidebar

UV Sterilizers Worth It?

• Yes

Votes: 27 23.7%
  • No

Votes: 11 9.6%
  • IDK - never used one before

Votes: 76 66.7%

Top Bottom