help,cloudy water.

1. vasqua03 Member Member

My ten gallon has had constant cloudy water for the past 5-6 weeks and it won't go away. I've been doing 15-30% water changes once a week with 0 ammonia, 0 Nitrates and 10-20ppm nitrates before water changes. I have two balloon red eye mollies, two otocinclus, and a bristlenose pleco that is almost ready to be moved to my newly established 30 gallons. I've never had this problem before and this is an old established tank (more than 1year old). I am concerned because I netted out a dead oto two days ago and I had those three for more than 6 months, my first fatality.

I think it started when I removed a piece of filter sponge that was in the filter but i haven't noted a spike in ammonia or nitrates for it to be a min-cycle and it should have settled by now. I had to remove it because the filter was getting clogged. It's a top10 filter and they discontinued the 3 in 1 that come with the sponge and now have the 3-in-1 in one piece which means that when you toss it all the bacterial is gone defying the purpose of providing biological filtration! I can't invest in another filter for another week or so and I am really tight on money. So any immediate and natural solutions are appreciated. I am afraid to over disturb the bacteria in the gravel too.

2. Cichlidnut Fishlore VIP Member

Does the tank get any direct sunlight? It is possible that it's an algae bloom. I'm sure somebody else will come along with more info.

3. Butterfly Moderator Moderator Member

When You get ready to dispose of your old melter media slide a new one in for about

a week if you have room. this will help reseed the new one.

On another note you don't really have to dispose of the filter sponge as often as the

manufacturer says too. If it's getting clogged rinse it in used tank water. This will rinse

the gunk out but preserve the beneficial bacteria.
    Carol

4. vasqua03 Member Member

I replace it like once every two months I just rinse in water I vacuum out. I can't fit another cartridge there is no room. These cartridges are bulkier which is why I had to get rid of sponge in the first place. It is in direct sunlight but It's always been and never had this problem. It is in a place where the right side of the aquarium gets direct sunlight for my oto's, I've been supplementing with wafers since I put the pleco in there and always give them zucchini and cucumber pieces as treats. Any suggestions for algae bloom issue? and/ or for establishing alternative bio filtration in addition to?

5. Cichlidnut Fishlore VIP Member

If you've got an air pump already in the tank, Sponge filters are super cheap. I'm a big fan of sponge filters. You can even make your own if you want, they usually run around $5-$6.

6. vasqua03 Member Member

sponge filters! genius! I do have an air pump with an air stone in that tank and two in my 30 gallon one of which is a rectangle. I re-tested water parameters. It is all 0, with normal ph and alkaline levels. Will get a sponge filter and see how things go. Will cut down on the direct sunlight by lowering the shade. thanks guys!

7. Cichlidnut Fishlore VIP Member

8. Aquarist Fishlore Legend Member

Good morning,

:animal0068:I have moved your thread from Aquarium Water to Aquarium Water/Cloudy Aquarium Water section of the forum.

Thanks!

Ken

9. catsma_97504 Fishlore Legend Member

When you look straight down into the tank does the water take on a green or a white coloring?

Green is algae, most likely caused by the direct sunlight.

White indicates a bacterial bloom, possibly caused by the loss of bacteria from tossing filter media.

Hope you figure it out soon.