Help Cleaning Filter

NBettas83

I have the Penn-Plax Cascade 80 Hang on Back filter, and each week it slows down to the point where water is just drizzling out of the spillway, every water change (that is, once a week), I take the impeller and its pieces out and wipe them with a tissue to get any slime off, this greatly improves the flow, but I have never been able to get it back up to the same level of flow as it originally had. Can someone please help?

Flyfisha

A cotton wool bud / Q tip in the impeller hole?
A pre filter on the intake?

Two years is about as long as some HOB last at an ideal level ?

In my country a new impeller/ magnet is the same price as a new HOB give or take a dollar.

Upvote 0

Noroomforshoe

If I had to clean my impeller every week, I would buy a different filter. I have always used Marineland hang on the back filters.

Upvote 0

NBettas83

A cotton wool bud / Q tip in the impeller hole?
A pre filter on the intake?

Two years is about as long as some HOB last at an ideal level ?

In my country a new impeller/ magnet is the same price as a new HOB give or take a dollar.
I have only has this filter for about two months. I have a prefilter.

Upvote 0

Jonmott

I have only has this filter for about two months. I have a prefilter.
It’s most definitely the pre filter l, you’ll probably need a more coarse foam, too fine of a foam and you will have to wring it out every few days

Upvote 0

NBettas83

It’s most definitely the pre filter l, you’ll probably need a more coarse foam, too fine of a foam and you will have to wring it out every few days
I don't think it's too fine, it didn't come with the filter, I bought it separately and it seems coarse enough.

Upvote 0

Jonmott

I don't think it's too fine, it didn't come with the filter, I bought it separately and it seems coarse enough.
Have you tried running it without the pre filter? I had the same issue, I thought the pores were course enough but it turned out it was the pre filter.

Upvote 0

Similar Aquarium Threads

• Question
Replies
Views
NBettas83
  • Question
Replies
Views
mattgirl
  • Question
Replies