Help Cleaning Aquarium Sand

Photobelle

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
I have a 20long with black sand. However the tank is on the bottom shelf of a bookcase. So the syphon cleaners do not work. I use buckets for my water changes. However I cannot figure out how to clean the sand! As I said the syphons don't work and I got the eheim gravel vac and it says not recommended for sand and it did suck up alot of sand! Anyone have any suggestions?

Fahn

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Photobelle said:
I have a 20long with black sand. However the tank is on the bottom shelf of a bookcase. So the syphon cleaners do not work. I use buckets for my water changes. However I cannot figure out how to clean the sand! As I said the syphons don't work and I got the eheim gravel vac and it says not recommended for sand and it did suck up alot of sand! Anyone have any suggestions?
Get a long length of hose, and stretch it from the tank to outside your home, trying to keep it on a downward gradient. The distance combined with the downward slope will be enough to start a siphon. We use that in our aquarium maintenance business for tanks too low or too shallow for our siphons.

TJG

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Maybe a Python or Aqueon water change system would help. Hook it up to the sink it sucks water out and when you're ready you flip the switch and fill it back up. You have to use water conditioner directly to the tank for the full volume of the tank using it.

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom