Help choosing fish

Status
Not open for further replies.

tetralover77

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
I bought a used 5 gal tank , I tested it for leaks and sterilized it using boiling water. It will be planted and I need help figuring out which fish to stock it with. :-\

Kunsthure

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
I've been looking for small fish for my 5g too! The options are pretty limited. I'm personally going to use mine as a shrimp tank but I'd like to add a fish. I've looked at a sparkling gourami, dwarf livebearers, chili rasboras, dwarf emerald green rasboras, CPDs and Dario Dario. Some people here also suggested a small school of five or so neon tetras. And of course there's always bettas.

-Lisa

FishLuver

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
2 dwarf gouramis would look beautiful under a nice light. I only have one and wish I had more cause he seems to be the only fish that never gets sick! They look so awesome!

The Danios are nice a flowy too.

Or one gorgeous betta would be nice too!

Lucy

Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Dwarf Gouramis aren't suited for a 5g tank.
Be careful with Sparkling Gouramis. If two pair off they can become aggressive. I dont think I'd put them in anything less than a 10g.
They prefer tank with lots of plants and driftwood to hide in.

Nutter

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Dwarf Gouoramis are very active. They need at least 20gal & I'd rather see them in bigger than that. I have one in my 63gal & it uses all of the available room to charge around like a mainac. I also agree that Sparkling Gouramis should really get at least 10gal.

Maybe a Dwarf Puffer or even certain Shell Dwellers would be ok. For my money I would go with some shrimp & a Betta. The Betta might cause all the shrimp to hide though.

tetralover77

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
thanks for the input, i originally thought about chili rasboras (boraras briggitae), phoenix rasboras (boraras maculatus) and gbrs (mikrogeophagus ramirezi) <")))><

Nutter

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
I would say 5gal is too small for any of those. At least a 10gal tank for the Rasboras & minimum 20gal for the Rams. A 5gal is really only suitable for a single male Betta or certain Shell Dwellers.

tetralover77

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
thanks the dwarf puffer looks like a good idea, did i mention that i have a seeded filter for up to 20 gal ready.

tetralover77

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
actually i've not allocated funds yet, so i have much time to ponder fish and aquascaping options.

Shine

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
I saw some 'pea puffers' at a lfs a couple months ago... thought they were truely bizarre. But now.... he he, mts is going insane, and I have enough snails now to keep one happy so even they are starting to look intriguing! ;D

I think I recall reading that a 5 was an okay space for one, but as always that depends on which site you look at.

tetralover77

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
Okay first step towards starting tank today, y i got the substrate, and a filter for the tank i seeded the 20 gal filter in, oh yeah and some driftwood for the hardscape!

tetralover77

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
okay so my dad was cutting down some dead cherry trees, and the roots are amazingly twisted shapes, are dried, boiled cherry roots without bark safe for an aquariumx

jerilovesfrogs

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
hi, i don't know about the wood, but i have a (what turned out to be male) betta in a 5g hex and he is very happy. i also have a 10g divided with a ct male and vt male. i really like bettas because they have a lot of personality and are very connected to their owners. their little wiggle dancing is so cute!

i think sometimes people think one fish in a tank isn't very exciting....but bettas are anything but boring.

tetralover77

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
I agree, i have an established 5-gal for a betta that i rescued from a local supermarket, they only just got him in so he was still healthy, but they were keeping him in one inch of
water, so i immediately picked him up an brought him home. his current home is a one gallon bowl that receives water changes of 75% every other day, but not for long!

Aquarist

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Good morning.

This thread has been moved to the Aquarium Stocking Questions section of the forum.

Thanks!
Ken

aquariumgirl lauren

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
5 gallons is enough room for a dwarf puffer and they are so cute! But I've heard that they can be difficult to feed.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Top Bottom