Help choosing between 25g cube ADA vs Mr. Aqua

JamesRush93

Hello! I'm relatively new to the hobby, just started with a planted 5 gallon in November 2020 which is home to a very happy betta and shrimp. I'm looking to upgrade them to a bigger tank that I can add a bigger community to. The dimensions I've decided on are 18"x18"x18" which is a 25 gallon cube tank. The stand I plan to use is 19"x19" so these are the perfect tank dimensions for me. I want the tank to be rimless and I am okay spending the extra money on low-iron glass, I just need to decide between two brands that carry this kind of tank at my LFS. They have an ADA tank and a Mr. Aqua, both at very different price points. Here are links to the two I am trying to decide between:

ADA Cube Garden 45-C [102-871] - $436.99
Mr. Aqua Brilliant 25 gallon Starfire (18 x 18 x 18) [MA-465LI] - $265.00

I live in Canada so the prices you see there are in CA$. As you can see the ADA is $436 vs the Mr. Aqua at $265. The ADA measures 17.7x17.7x17.7 while the Mr. Aqua measures 18.0625″x18.125″x18.125. The glass thickness on the ADA is 0.6 mm and on the Mr. Aqua it is 0.05 mm. Both are low-iron "starfire" glass. After calculating tax on both I would be spending an additional $194 if I went with the ADA.

I'm well aware of how high quality ADA tanks are and that they are the industry leader for low-iron rimless tanks, but I've done research on competitor brands like Mr. Aqua and they seem to be pretty close in quality. However it would be nice to hear directly from someone with experience with these brands who can weigh in with their opinion on these two tanks. What about the ADA tank would justify its additional ~$200 cost? Better silicone work? Clearer glass? Better quality control? Simply the brand name? Would any of those things be superior enough to be worth the additional price or is the additional price? I'm not opposed to paying the premium if it really is worth it - I value quality products that I plan to use for the rest of my life - but if the differences are negligible then I would rather save the $200 for equipment and fish stock.

Thanks!

AvaTheFish

Personally, I would go with Mr. Aqua, just if there is a warranty, take it. Also, before adding fish, while cycling, make sure after adding all water, substrate, and decorations, that it is holding up. If possible, buy in store vs. Online, returns are easier if needed and less chance of damaged product by handling in the mail.

JamesRush93

Thanks for the advice Ava. Due to COVID measures in my city I have to make the purchase online but be doing curb-side pick-up directly from the store. Do you have an Mr. Aqua tank yourself? Wondering if you could speak to the quality of things like it's silicone work and overall build quality?

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
AvalancheDave
Replies
Views
Anders247
Replies
Views
aussieJJDude
Replies
Views