Help choosing a paint for a background

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Jaysee, Jan 8, 2013.

1. JayseeFishlore LegendMember

I've given up on my idea for a background for the 125, and want to paint it black. The tank is in place, full of fish, so spraypaint is not an option. Any suggestions?

2. AnthonyC4CWell Known MemberMember

Roll it would seem to be the best idea and quickest

3. oscarsbudWell Known MemberMember

Agreed - I would roll it also.

4. JayseeFishlore LegendMember

I'm not sure if there are certain types of paint that would be better, or worse.

Or maybe I'll do a window film - limo is pretty dark. Dark enough?

5. matsungitWell Known MemberMember

2 layers of limo tint?

6. Matt BWell Known MemberMember

I do mine with a small foam roller (the foam helps smooth it). I buy the glossiest black enamel I can find, because it looses luster coming from the back of the tank, and do 4 or 5 coats. The first coat will just look like dirty glass but hang in there!

7. AlanGreeneWell Known MemberMember

I assume the paint is non removable? Does this hurt the resale value? I thought about it but was nervous of painting the tank so taped on a background instead!

8. Matt BWell Known MemberMember

Mine come off pretty easily, I think the key is to have alot of coats so its thick, I've then just worked a corner loose and it would come off pretty easily. The paint doesn't bond to the glass super strong ime.

9. JayseeFishlore LegendMember

Thanks guys. I am exploring window film at the moment....

10. psalm18.2Fishlore LegendMember

I've used window tint. Works great.

11. amber0107Well Known MemberMember

I've used it as well and loved it.

12. JayseeFishlore LegendMember

Now I'm looking at paint again. I can't decide....

13. QQQUUUUAADDDWell Known MemberMember

I use black acrylic paint applied with a roller. Comes off easily.

14. EverythingzenWell Known MemberMember

I think paint will be easier, especially if the tank is in situ. Any air bubbles will be really hard to smooth out if you can't get easy access to the back. Just make sure you put a large plastic sheet up and tape all the other 3 surfaces (top and sides)!

15. JayseeFishlore LegendMember

Yeah, I'm thinking the paint will be easier for me to do myself than the film. Maybe static cling would be easy.

16. GrumpyguppyNew MemberMember

I agree

17. ButterflyModeratorModerator Member

Paint works really well and will come off fairly easily.
    Years ago we bought tanks at an auction that had the backs painted. we used a single edge razor blade to scrape it off. It was a bit of a mess but we were outside.

Why can't you find a backing for it. Just can't find one you like?
    Carol

18. JayseeFishlore LegendMember

I've had this idea in my head for a while of what I wanted, but I just couldn't bring it to fruition. Black will really make the fish pop, though, so that will be nice too.

I found some I like, but I think I am going to do that for the 90 when I renovate it.

19. AquaristFishlore LegendMember

Hi JaySee,

I would suggest a water based paint and not oil based. Less fumes, easier clean up. I've painted a few back panels over the years and used a cheap WalMart purchased can of paint. I used a brush and not a roller though. Couple of coats.

Agreed with it being black and making the fish pop! :)

Right now I have store bought, black back grounds, on both of my tanks. Taped them on.

Ken

20. MuseyWell Known MemberMember

In my opinion, the new static-cling backgrounds are the way to go! You can get them in solid black too I think. The trick is to work slowly, with a rubber squeegee (I used one of those small hard rubber squeegees you can get at the hardware store for applying caulk) or even a credit card would work.

It takes about an hour or more... so don't be in a rush. Just keep peeling back, streching and working each section at a time to get all the bubbles and wrinkles out. Patience is the key! I found it helpful to start in the center and work my way to one side, then do the other side.

Once it is done correctly, the clings look bright, beautiful, and flawless! It looks a million times better than the old style backgrounds that you just tape on the glass. They actually look like they are painted on! Mine has been up for several months and has not had any issues with peeling or bubbling at all. The color is rich and vibrant and I am super pleased with it.

And the best part is... that if you change your mind later, you can just rip it off.

I used a squeegee like this one:

I also used an exacto knife and a metal ruler for cutting perfectly straight edges. Tip: Don't pre-cut your cling. Just get it installed and then cut it along the edges of the glass.

Also, here is a link to where you can buy a large sheet of solid black cling for big tanks. It is 36" wide and you buy the length you need for $3.85 per foot. It is a great deal! I will be putting this on my new 100 gallon tank. :)

Last edited: Jan 9, 2013

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice