Help choosing a filter system

Discussion in 'Filters and Filtration' started by maddiecat214, Apr 13, 2010.

1. maddiecat214New MemberMember

I have been looking for a small filtration system that can help with keeping the water clear and help with ammonia levels. The one that I have found that has great reviews is the Penn Plax Small World Pump & Filter Kit.
    Have a Marineland Eclipse Explorer 2 gallon tank. The filter it came with is way to strong!
    Has anyone used this filter system? Reviews, suggestions?

Thanks!!

2. MeenuFishlore VIPMember

I was thinking of getting one a while back, and did some research into it - I read good things about it. I don't personally have one, though.

3. Craig-DValued MemberMember

I recommend the Red Sea deco Art Nano Filter. I have one for my 2.5 gallon hospital tank. It's completely silent and has adjustable flow. It can be purchased here:

4. JayseeFishlore LegendMember

I recommend the azoo palm filter - about $9.

5. Craig-DValued MemberMember

The Azoo Palm filter Jaysee mentions and Red Sea Nano I just mentioned are the same filter. It's just marketed under different names. You can't go wrong with either one.

6. maddiecat214New MemberMember

I looked at that one to and that was my first choice and then I stumbled upon the Penn Plax system.

7. Craig-DValued MemberMember

The Penn Plax is an air-driven in tank filter system. The others are hang on back filters. The Penn Plax is going to come with a very cheap and very noisy air pump. You are not going to be happy with it. The others are completely silent. The one advantage the Penn Plax has is that includes carbon for chemical filtration, while the others do not. But carbon is not essential for a healthy tank. The noise is the deciding factor here, especially if the tank is going to be in a bedroom. I would avoid the Penn Plax if I were you.

8. maddiecat214New MemberMember

The tank is at my office. So as long as its not incredibly loud it should be okay.

9. Craig-DValued MemberMember

That's my point: it will be incredibly loud. If you get the Penn Plax the first thing you will want to do is swap out the stock air pump for a quieter aftermarket one - thus doubling your cost. Get the Red Sea/Azoo and you have no air pump to deal with. Bottom line: any of these filters you are considering will filter the tank well and they cost about the same, so it's up to you.

10. maddiecat214New MemberMember

Wow thanks for the info! I had no idea it would be that loud. I will go with the Nano then! Thanks!!

11. crystalizedNew MemberMember

theres some informations about it...hope it could be helpful

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice