Help choosing 40g stock

connorjs1004

So I know I already made a thread about what I wanted to do for my 40 breeder tank, but I keep seeing new and different fish that I like and want to put in it. Originally, I was going to have this:
But now I really just want something different. Since the tank is still a small to medium sized tank, I know it can't hold all of the fish that I liked, but I still would like to have some of them. So, there a few different plans I came up with for it,

Please let me know which one you like best, and if you have any suggestions or recommendations about it!

AverageAquarist22

I think option #3 sounds cool! Maybe with a lemon yellow pleco it would kinda match the kuhli loach’s stripes and the patterns on the gouramis? (I’m really into colors matching lol,) and then the cherry barbs would be a nice pop of red! It also seems like there would be enough activity on all levels of the tank.

Upvote 0

connorjs1004

I think option #3 sounds cool! Maybe with a lemon yellow pleco it would kinda match the kuhli loach’s stripes and the patterns on the gouramis? (I’m really into colors matching lol,) and then the cherry barbs would be a nice pop of red! It also seems like there would be enough activity on all levels of the tank.
Ooh that pleco looks really cool! I don't know where I could buy it though lol.

Upvote 0

MyFishAddiction

Time to make it hard... I'd do option 1.
Or 3 :)

Upvote 0

CrackerboxPalace

I like option 1, but in my opinion it would look even cooler if you got ~24 rummynose tetras instead of the cardinals and the rasboras. Rummynose have really cool schooling behaviour, so just a thought. :)

Upvote 0

connorjs1004

I like option 1, but in my opinion it would look even cooler if you got ~24 rummynose tetras instead of the cardinals and the rasboras. Rummynose have really cool schooling behaviour, so just a thought. :)
Ahh this is the time where I wish I loved Rummynose! I'm not sure what it is about that fish, but I really just don't like the look of them
Do you know of any other fish that would go well with the other fish and are similar to them in the sense of how they school and size wise?

Upvote 0

CrackerboxPalace

Ahh this is the time where I wish I loved Rummynose! I'm not sure what it is about that fish, but I really just don't like the look of them
Do you know of any other fish that would go well with the other fish and are similar to them in the sense of how they school and size wise?
I don't know of any other fish that school in the way rummynose do, but I'm sure there are! even if they only loosely school it will still be pretty cool to have a large number of any small fish.

Upvote 0

connorjs1004

I don't know of any other fish that school in the way rummynose do, but I'm sure there are! even if they only loosely school it will still be pretty cool to have a large number of any small fish.
I think right now I like Serpae tetras the best so I would probably substitute with them even though they aren't as tight schooling

Upvote 0

connorjs1004

1627778437963.png
A little update, this is what I have decided on putting in the tank for when it is ready. And I am fully prepared for the maintenance lol

Upvote 0

connorjs1004

So its been a while and I ended up going with none of what I previously said I would with stocking. I ended up getting 2 Bolivians , 15 serpaes, 8 Congos, 5 pearl gourami, and 5 nerite snails. One Bolivian was DOA, and for a month and a half the 15 serpaes and single Bolivian ram were thriving. Then a trip to the lfs and I saw 8 Congo tetras. They were one of my dream fish to have and that was the first time I had ever seen them, so of course I picked them up. Without thinking, I put them directly into the main tank after acclimation with no quarantine. They ended up having ich which killed 7 of the Congos, along with 4 of my serpae tetras. Now, I think I am at the point where I am probably going to exchange the serpae and Congo tetras back to the lfs and get new schoolers. I was thinking about 15 lamb chop Rasbora and either 15 cardinals or neon tetras. I am also planning on getting a group of kuhlis or transferring some corydoras from another tank. Any advice on which would be better for the tank and how many of them?

Upvote 0

Similar Aquarium Threads

• Question
Replies
Views
SouthAmericanCichlids
Replies
Views
lilirose
  • Question
Replies
Views