Help choose the tetra school for this hardscape only tank

1. Torbay Initiate Member

Hello, I rescaped my 40g breeder tank a month ago. This isn't the best photo with some reflections, but it gives you an idea. I've also changed the background paper to a warmer bronze color vs. the gray-black in this photo. Right now I added 7 panda corys and 6 neons from my other tank. What would look nice as an active main school and be peaceful for my neons or corys? With the branchy driftwood I've got, I'm thinking a triangular or oval shaped fish would be better than a "minnow shape". Don't want anything too big as I'd like to have 13+ fish in the school. I also have good water movement (400 gph). I'm considering Diamond tetras, hatchetfish, ornate tetras...Have had harlequin rasboras before so would like something different. Your ideas?
    my aquarium.JPG

Light: 55w cfl, 6400k
    Substrate: Black Diamond sand
    Wood: Northern Catalpa
    Plants: Amazon Frogbit
    Filter: Aqueon 75
    Rock: Black granite scraps

2. allaboutfish Well Known Member Member

bleeding heart tetras or maybe some rainbows.

3. backflipfronflip Well Known Member Member

Hatchet fish would look great in there, flashing around all silver looking!

4. pirahnah3 Fishlore VIP Member

a 40gal is a bit too small for most of the rainbows out there honestly, you could do thread fins or the praecox rainbows.

As for the tetras, I like the diamond tetras, or what about some red eye tetras?

5. mtsguy21 Well Known Member Member

I know you said no minnow shaped, but what about kerri tetras. They are a purplish blue, and look awesome. They get about 2".

6. Torbay Initiate Member

Thanks for these ideas. The prettiest rainbows are the larger ones, so having a school of them isn't possible in my tank...though I've never heard of threadfins and will look into those further! I like the look of the hatchetfish, but after looking at videos on YouTube, they seem very content to just hang below the water surface. I'd like something that is an active swimmer to move around the mid-section of my tank. So far the Diamond Tetra is leading the way and they're about the biggest fish I'd want. I hear they get to be 2" long...sometimes 2.5". I'm just having a hard time deciding, but thanks for the suggestions and keep them coming if you would. I hope to place an order early next week. TIA!

7. catsma_97504 Fishlore Legend Member

Trying to think of fish shaped like you want that will school/shoal without a perceived threat. Can't think of anything. So, how about Gold Barbs? They shoal and have a nice color too. But they grow up to 3 inches.

Any of the smaller Tetras simply will not school without a larger fish they perceive as a threat. At least that's my experience with them.

Love the hardscape of your tank!

8. backflipfronflip Well Known Member Member

Harlequin Rasboras are a pretty little fish, and they are quite active and mine tend to spend most of their time hanging out together as well.

9. allaboutfish Well Known Member Member

what about forktail blue eyed rainbowfish?something with blue eyes would look great.

10. Borisbbadd Guest

I think Harliquins would look great in there !!!

11. Torbay Initiate Member

Hmm....now I'm thinking Black Phantom or Red Phantom tetras...

12. Donnerjay Well Known Member Member

Hello!

My first thought was Harlequins, too, but then you said you didn't want them. Hmm. How about bloodfin tetras? They're very, very active and would love to swim all over this type of tank. They'd leave your neons/cories alone, too.

If you don't want a minnow shape, have you considered livebearers? I'm thinking platies especially, or even swordtails since you have the space. They are "peck" fish, they like to peck at surfaces in your tank, so I'd think they'd be all over that driftwood. Could be interesting to watch. Of course they're livebearers, so you'd have to consider that when choosing your sexes.

Another idea would be a school of albino cories. I say albinos because they, in my experience, tend to swim all over the water column, especially the glass, unlike most other cories who tend to hang near the bottom primarily.

I also was thinking of kerri tetras! (check out Harpua's post in the Buy Sell Trade thread, she has some ready).

I'd like to see that new bronze background, too. Are you putting any green in the tank, artificial or otherwise?

Have fun!

13. allaboutfish Well Known Member Member

i think columbian tetras would look great.

14. Torbay Initiate Member

Just wanted to follow and say "thanks" again for all the great fish suggestions, some of which I hadn't heard of before. I ended up getting 11 Black Phantom Tetras. I know they're not the most exciting or exotic choice (that's also what the LFS person said), but they are a beautiful fish that had the size, shape and temperament I was looking for. I think they'll get more beautiful over time and I'll try to get an updated photo taken soon. Thanks!

15. harpua2002 Fishlore VIP Member

Black phantoms should be nice. I really think diamonds, colombians, or bleeding hearts would have made it next to impossible to get food to your pygmys. Black phantoms are smaller and more passive. They are really underrated IMO, and get beautiful once they settle in. :)