Help! Chinese algae eater

SamanthaJane

Hello
So i have recently adopted a chinese algea eater from a friend whom didn't want it anymore.
I have placed it in my community tank along with a juvenile angelfish, 10 black neon, 2 white skert tetra and 3 guppies that are small. After I did a little research turns out that CAE will eventually stop eating algea and develop a taste for protein. I read it can kill angelfish while trying to suck at the slime layer. My algea eater is about 2 inches.
I placed it in my mini predator tank with catfish; however it's been 5 days now in the mini predator tank which has 0 algea!! He won't attempt to eat the algea wafers I dropped and hasn't eaten a thing in 5 days.
Should I drop him back in the community tank? He doesn't seem aggressive I'm not sure if he's at an age where he would develop that taste for protein yet
I attached a picture do you guys think he's still young enough?

Attachments

Redshark1

It is probably stressed out from all the moves.

I was looking into these once as I know there are a lot of older ones brought back to the shops.

I thought they may make an interesting river aquarium with a large shoal of them.

However, it seems they are intolerant of each other when mature (so not like Clown Loaches and other social botine loaches) and they also hide from their owner so they do not make a good aquarium fish when adult.

In the first tropical aquarium I ever saw the Sucking Loach (Chinese Algae Eater) sucked on the Zebra Danio with bloody results.

I think shops make money from selling them as an obligitary aid to new owners "algae solution" which is why they are still on sale despite this knowledge.

SamanthaJane

Redshark1 said:
It is probably stressed out from all the moves.

I was looking into these once as I know there are a lot of older ones brought back to the shops.

I thought they may make an interesting river aquarium with a large shoal of them.

However, it seems they are intolerant of each other when mature (so not like Clown Loaches and other social botine loaches) and they also hide from their owner so they do not make a good aquarium fish when adult.

In the first tropical aquarium I ever saw the Sucking Loach (Chinese Algae Eater) sucked on the Zebra Danio with bloody results.

I think shops make money from selling them as an obligitary aid to new owners "algae solution" which is why they are still on sale despite this knowledge.
Thank you for your reply. I agree they're popular in fish stores but also notorious for their havoc. So you think in a few days he'll attempt to eat flakes and pellets? Literally haven't eaten anything in 5 days!

Top Bottom