Help! Child Dumped Food Into Tank

Discussion in 'Cleaning and Maintenance' started by Mum, Jul 31, 2015.

1. M

Mum Valued Member Member

We have a brand new 30 gallon tank, had perfect water readings as of yesterday. Two Mollies and an ADF from our old 10 gallon, and a new Molly and a new Solar Flare that we added yesterday. The tank has our old filter feeding BB into the new one. We have an underground filter system set on low, and a Aqueon 50 filter hanging on the back. One moss ball and one floating fern (for fry). Temp is 80.

Okay, so this morning my four year old dropped several handfuls of FD worms into the tank. I'm not sure how long before I came out and saw. I immediately stopped all the filters and scooped out every bit I could. Then tapped it all off the filter cartridges and started everything back up.

Water is now cloudy and tons of is on the substrate. I have a vacuum...my question is if I should vacuum and replace the water or just wait for the tank to filter itself? The frog and solar flare seem to enjoy the snacks they are finding...but the water is so cloudy. :(

image.jpg

2. kidster9700

kidster9700 Well Known Member Member

Well I would say definitely vacuum the gravel! The main concern here is if you clean out the filter and the substrate and changing too much water you run the risk of your tank starting a new cycle (assuming it's cycled already)

Sent from my iPhone using Fish Lore Aquarium Fish Forum

3. BornThisWayBettas

BornThisWayBettas Fishlore VIP Member

Yes, I'd vacuum the gravel and do a large water change. I wouldn't change the filter media though, because as the above poster said, you could lose your cycle. Also, I'd monitor your water parameters with a liquid test kit very, very carefully. The biggest issue with doing a large water change is pH and temp swings, so be careful with that.

I wish you the best of luck. :)

4. OP
    OP
    M

Mum Valued Member Member

I have not changed my filter, I just tapped all the off it. There was tons of food build up, which I took as meaning it was a good filter...cause it sucked that much up so quick.

I'm vacuuming now, and will water change. I got some new seachem conditioner too.

5. kidster9700

perfect!

6. OP
    OP
    M

Mum Valued Member Member

Well, vacuumed down to 50% water, replaced, and conditioned. Still cloudy, but maybe it's just a bit of bacteria bloom?

7. kidster9700

My tank gets a little cloudy after a vacuum from the stuff it pulls up but doesn't get. Give it a couple hours and if it's still cloudy post a picture. Should be fine right now though.

Sent from my iPhone using Fish Lore Aquarium Fish Forum

8. OP
    OP
    M

Mum Valued Member Member

Update: the tank is now clear. :) It was actually clear about two days after my last post, but I'm lagging on all my forum monitoring.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice