Help! Cherry Red Shrimp dying!

Biverson

New Member
Member
Messages
17
Reaction score
1
Hey everyone!

First post here. New to the hobby.

My tank was properly cycled and I planted Monte Carlo, s repens and water wisteria 3 weeks ago. Plants are doing ok, s reopens are fully melted and struggling. Also a decent amount of hair and beard algae. I added some neon tetras and 4 cherry red shrimp 6 days ago. Tetras are fine but all of the shrimp have died. Any ideas or suggestions?

Fluval Spec v
Amazonia substrate
0 ammonia
0 nitrite
20 nitrate
7ish ph
3 kh
14 gh

Thanks for the help!

image.jpg
 

kallililly1973

Fishlore VIP
Member
Messages
9,912
Reaction score
9,839
Location
Rhode Island USA
Experience
Just started
too new of a tank to add shrimp. Also from what I hear if you don't drip acclimate them at least 2-3 hours there is a slI'm chance they won't make it. Do you know your water paramters with Ph, GH, and KH
 
  • Thread starter
  • Thread Starter
  • #4
OP
B

Biverson

New Member
Member
Messages
17
Reaction score
1
kallililly1973 said:
too new of a tank to add shrimp. Also from what I hear if you don't drip acclimate them at least 2-3 hours there is a slI'm chance they won't make it. Do you know your water paramters with Ph, GH, and KH
Started cycling mid August. Cycle completed 4-5 weeks ago. Added shrimp about 2 weeks after planting.

Parameters:
Fluval Spec v
Amazonia substrate
0 ammonia
0 nitrite
20 nitrate
7ish ph
3 kh
14 gh
 

kallililly1973

Fishlore VIP
Member
Messages
9,912
Reaction score
9,839
Location
Rhode Island USA
Experience
Just started
Sorry if I didn't see your parameters in your original post unless you edited it in which was a very good move! Couple other things other than thinking it may be too soon for them if the tank isn't established at least 3-6 months. What temp are you keeping the tank at and how much and how often are your WC's? Sorry sad to ask but did you get any pics of the dead ones? I'm pretty positive your parameters are good but I'll tag in richie.p for verification and i'm sure more insight.
 
  • Thread starter
  • Thread Starter
  • #6
OP
B

Biverson

New Member
Member
Messages
17
Reaction score
1
kallililly1973 said:
Sorry if I didn't see your parameters in your original post unless you edited it in which was a very good move! Couple other things other than thinking it may be too soon for them if the tank isn't established at least 3-6 months. What temp are you keeping the tank at and how much and how often are your WC's? Sorry sad to ask but did you get any pics of the dead ones? I'm pretty positive your parameters are good but I'll tag in richie.p for verification and i'm sure more insight.
No problem, thanks for the quick reply!

I did not get pics of the dead ones, from what I could tell they didn’t look any different then when I put them in a week ago...
I’ve been keeping the tank at 74-76 degrees, 20% WC once a week at least.
Is 14 gh ok or is that high? First time testing for it, API test kit, 14 drops before it turned green.
 

Vinh

Well Known
Member
Messages
785
Reaction score
271
Location
Salt lake, Utah ,USA
Experience
Just started
Neon tetra:

pH : 5 - 7.5
Temperature : 69°F - 79°F (21°C - 26°C)
Water Hardness : 1° to 10° dH

red cheery shrimp:

GH: 6-8, KH: 2-5, PH: 6.5-7.8
TDS: 150-250, Water Temp: 69-75F

Now you know why your shrimp dead!,
 

kallililly1973

Fishlore VIP
Member
Messages
9,912
Reaction score
9,839
Location
Rhode Island USA
Experience
Just started
Biverson said:
Is 14 gh ok or is that high?
That's the only reading i'm not 100% about but I believe KH and GH should stay around the 1-6 area for shrimp for either one but please don't quote me. This is a parameter i'm still learning.
 
  • Thread starter
  • Thread Starter
  • #9
OP
B

Biverson

New Member
Member
Messages
17
Reaction score
1
Vinh said:
Neon tetra:

pH : 5 - 7.5
Temperature : 69°F - 79°F (21°C - 26°C)
Water Hardness : 1° to 10° dH

red cheery shrimp:

GH: 6-8, KH: 2-5, PH: 6.5-7.8
TDS: 150-250, Water Temp: 69-75F

Now you know why your shrimp dead!,
Thanks for the info!
So, lower the temp a couple degrees?
What do I do about the high gh? Add distilled water during water changes? Will that mess with kh?
 

Vinh

Well Known
Member
Messages
785
Reaction score
271
Location
Salt lake, Utah ,USA
Experience
Just started
Neon tetra is slight acidic fish...Shrimp is slight alkaline , can not mix.their temp are also different..water condition are different...shrimp are more sensitive to water condition than neon tetra....when you match with one then you against other .One thing change will effect other one..KH,GH,ph,temp,tds...and shrimp require 0, and 0,and 0.25 ...ppm to survival
 
  • Thread starter
  • Thread Starter
  • #11
OP
B

Biverson

New Member
Member
Messages
17
Reaction score
1
Vinh said:
Neon tetra is slight acidic fish...Shrimp is slight alkaline , can not mix.their temp are also different..water condition are different...shrimp are more sensitive to water condition than neon tetra....when you match with one then you against other .One thing change will effect other one..KH,GH,ph,temp,tds...and shrimp require 0, and 0,and 0.25 ...ppm to survival
Wow, interesting. I thought people commonly had tetras and cherry shrimp in the same tank?

Vinh said:
Neon tetra is slight acidic fish...Shrimp is slight alkaline , can not mix.their temp are also different..water condition are different...shrimp are more sensitive to water condition than neon tetra....when you match with one then you against other .One thing change will effect other one..KH,GH,ph,temp,tds...and shrimp require 0, and 0,and 0.25 ...ppm to survival
Wow, interesting. I thought people commonly had tetras and cherry shrimp in the same tank?
 

Jack B Nimble

Well Known
Member
Messages
804
Reaction score
811
Experience
More than 10 years
Biverson said:
Wow, interesting. I thought people commonly had tetras and cherry shrimp in the same tank?
I have 24 neon tetras in 46g tank and big painted fire reds all good.
Were yours drip acclimated 2 hours ?
 
  • Thread starter
  • Thread Starter
  • #13
OP
B

Biverson

New Member
Member
Messages
17
Reaction score
1
Jack B Nimble said:
I have 24 neon tetras in 46g tank and big painted fire reds all good.
Were yours drip acclimated 2 hours ?
No they were not. I floated them then added 1/2 cup of my tank water every 5 minutes for about an hour...rookie mistake?
 

Vinh

Well Known
Member
Messages
785
Reaction score
271
Location
Salt lake, Utah ,USA
Experience
Just started
Big paint fire red is not red cheery shrimp..I think that caridina shrimp live well in low ph and RO water.

opps mistake..They are neocaridina..

Jack B Nimble said:
I have 24 neon tetras in 46g tank and big painted fire reds all good.
Were yours drip acclimated 2 hours ?
Interesting! I never mix them..
 

richiep

Fishlore VIP
Member
Messages
7,076
Reaction score
4,263
Location
Bedford UK but Welsh
Experience
More than 10 years
Croeso welcome to fishlore
The worst possible thing you could do at this moment is start messing with your water.
Your gh14/kh3 ph7 is fine they will live and breed quite happily in that. There are experienced shrimpers here on fishlore keeping them in gh19 your water temp is of no concern ether so don't mess with nothing.
You have made a simple mistake of adding shrimp to soon, the tank is not mature enough or stable enough for shrimp yet. Give it another month/6weeks then come back with your perameters and let's see. Dont start adding distilled water to lower gh.
I can't emphasize how important it is not to mess with your water at such an early stage in shrimp keeping, Do it and it will backfire on you
 

Jack B Nimble

Well Known
Member
Messages
804
Reaction score
811
Experience
More than 10 years
Biverson said:
No they were not. I floated them then added 1/2 cup of my tank water every 5 minutes for about an hour...rookie mistake?
Ya I would say so, when you do that some survive for a while even a few weeks then die off. I suggest acclimating 2 hours @ 1 drip per second and you won t have issues.

I would probably not suggest you do either if you want a large colony, my tank is in a fairly large living room and my wife wanted to see movement at a distance so the neons seemed like a good choice. They don't bother the adult shrimp at all but, I know any fish in a shrimp tank and you will see far less babies if ever,
Vinh said:
Interesting! I never mix them..
 

PSUolive

New Member
Member
Messages
19
Reaction score
2
Experience
1 year
I add my cherry shrimp to my tanks the same way you do Biverson except I add 1/4 cup of water every 10-15 minutes. Never had a shrimp die on me yet doing it that way but I'm sure there is a safer way to acclimatize them.

My water in my planted tank is
PH – 8 to 8.1 (Tap Water and it has worked great in all my tanks)
Ammonia – 0
Nitrite – 0
Nitrate - 5-10ppm
GH – 220ppm to 260ppm
Temp 75-78

My main tank
Started with 2 Rabbit snails in April and now have 22
10 neon tetras
15 guppies
6 Albino Cory Cats
30 RCS to start buy must have well over 100 in the tank now.
 

ROFEA

Active Member
Member
Messages
64
Reaction score
18
Experience
Just started
Where did you get your shrimp? In my experience that was the greatest factor in shrimp thriving. (All acclimation being equal)
 

New Threads

Similar Threads

Follow FishLore!

FishLore on Social Media

Online statistics

Members online
115
Guests online
2,390
Total visitors
2,505

Aquarium Photo Contests

Aquarium Calculator

Top Bottom