Help Caring For Babies

Status
Not open for further replies.

Anto27

Reaction score
Experience
2 years
Hi,

I have just recently had fry in my tank and I want to try to raise them. I have already put the in a separate container in the tank. I'm feeding them crushed up tropical fish flakes. How much and how often should I feed them? And does anyone have any other tips for me?

Thanks,
Anthony

Attachments

Demeter

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Crushed flakes and micro worms are what I usually feed new fry. I feed them about 3 times a day, sometimes more/less. Moving them to a 10gal grow out tank is your best bet on getting them to a decent size. A heater and sponge filter is about all you need. Do lots of water changes (2-4 50% changes a week) to help them grow faster. I'm guessing you have some sort of live bearer?

Last edited:

Anto27

Reaction score
Experience
2 years
Crushed flakes and micro worms are what I usually feed new fry. I feed them about 3 times a day, sometimes more/less. Moving them to a 10gal grow out tank is your best bet on getting them to a decent size. A heater and sponge filter is about all you need. Do lots of water changes (2-4 50% changes a week) to help them grow faster. I'm guessing you have some sort of live bearer?
I have a 10 gallon tank, but that is currently occupied by a crayfish. And yes, I do have a live bearer.

oOBlueOo

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
I usually keep the fry in a breeder net until they're too big to be eaten, then let them go in the main tank.

I have one guppy fry that I missed, but he seems to be surviving. I also have lots of plants.

Balkaran0006

Valued Member
Reaction score
I usually keep the fry in a breeder net until they're too big to be eaten, then let them go in the main tank.

I have one guppy fry that I missed, but he seems to be surviving. I also have lots of plants.
I wouldn't recommend this as this could cause the fry to be stunted. It's much better to either have a grow or tank or leave them in the main tank!

oOBlueOo

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
I wouldn't recommend this as this could cause the fry to be stunted. It's much better to either have a grow or tank or leave them in the main tank!
I've never had a problem with it.

Anto27

Reaction score
Experience
2 years
Well I'm keeping them in a plastic breeder right now. Also how much should I feed them at one time? I feed them 3-4 times a day.

Attachments

Balkaran0006

Valued Member
Reaction score
Feeding multiple times a day with smaller feedings rather than 1 big feeding is better!!

Anto27

Reaction score
Experience
2 years
That's what I'm doing, I feed 3 times but how much crushed flakes in each feeding?

oOBlueOo

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Well I'm keeping them in a plastic breeder right now. Also how much should I feed them at one time? I feed them 3-4 times a day.
I think that should be fine. Depending on what you have in your main tank, they won't have to be in there for long.

I also like to add plants to help the fry feel secure. If you don't have plants, plastic or Styrofoam cups will work.

Balkaran0006

Valued Member
Reaction score
I think that should be fine. Depending on what you have in your main tank, they won't have to be in there for long.

I also like to add plants to help the fry feel secure. If you don't have plants, plastic or Styrofoam cups will work.
Agreed

oOBlueOo

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
I would see about adding some floating plants. Does your filter intake have a sponge over it?

Anto27

Reaction score
Experience
2 years
I have one pleco, 2 donation Mollies. A firetail shark, and 2 black Mollies who give birth to the fry.

Balkaran0006

Valued Member
Reaction score
Is your intake very strong? This is why it would be a good idea to put floating plants so they can stay at the top instead of the bottom!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Toggle Sidebar

UV Sterilizers Worth It?

• Yes

Votes: 17 27.0%
  • No

Votes: 6 9.5%
  • IDK - never used one before

Votes: 40 63.5%

Top Bottom