Help Caring For Babies

Discussion in 'Breeding Fish' started by Anto27, Apr 9, 2017.

1. A

Anto27 New Member Member

Hi,

I have just recently had fry in my tank and I want to try to raise them. I have already put the in a separate container in the tank. I'm feeding them crushed up tropical fish flakes. How much and how often should I feed them? And does anyone have any other tips for me?

Thanks,
    Anthony

Attached Files:

2. Demeter

Demeter Well Known Member Member

Crushed flakes and micro worms are what I usually feed new fry. I feed them about 3 times a day, sometimes more/less. Moving them to a 10gal grow out tank is your best bet on getting them to a decent size. A heater and sponge filter is about all you need. Do lots of water changes (2-4 50% changes a week) to help them grow faster. I'm guessing you have some sort of live bearer?

Last edited: Apr 9, 2017
  3. James17

James17 Well Known Member Member

Welcome to FishLore

4. OP
    OP
    A

Anto27 New Member Member

I have a 10 gallon tank, but that is currently occupied by a crayfish. And yes, I do have a live bearer.

5. oOBlueOo

oOBlueOo Well Known Member Member

I usually keep the fry in a breeder net until they're too big to be eaten, then let them go in the main tank.

I have one guppy fry that I missed, but he seems to be surviving. I also have lots of plants.

6. Balkaran0006

Balkaran0006 Valued Member Member

I wouldn't recommend this as this could cause the fry to be stunted. It's much better to either have a grow or tank or leave them in the main tank!

7. oOBlueOo

I've never had a problem with it.

8. Balkaran0006

Just saying because IME they do better in grow out tanks!!

9. OP
    OP
    A

Anto27 New Member Member

Well I'm keeping them in a plastic breeder right now. Also how much should I feed them at one time? I feed them 3-4 times a day.

Attached Files:

10. Balkaran0006

Feeding multiple times a day with smaller feedings rather than 1 big feeding is better!!

11. OP
    OP
    A

Anto27 New Member Member

That's what I'm doing, I feed 3 times but how much crushed flakes in each feeding?

12. oOBlueOo

I think that should be fine. Depending on what you have in your main tank, they won't have to be in there for long.

I also like to add plants to help the fry feel secure. If you don't have plants, plastic or Styrofoam cups will work.

13. OP
    OP
    A

Anto27 New Member Member

This is my food for them.

Attached Files:

14. Balkaran0006

Agreed

15. OP
    OP
    A

Anto27 New Member Member

Is this enough to hiding places?

Attached Files:

16. Balkaran0006

I think what @oOBlueOo means is that you should add plants for them in the trap so they feel a little more secure

17. oOBlueOo

I would see about adding some floating plants. Does your filter intake have a sponge over it?

18. OP
    OP
    A

Anto27 New Member Member

I have one pleco, 2 donation Mollies. A firetail shark, and 2 black Mollies who give birth to the fry.

19. OP
    OP
    A

Anto27 New Member Member

No. That's why I'm scared to put them in the open tank.

20. Balkaran0006

Is your intake very strong? This is why it would be a good idea to put floating plants so they can stay at the top instead of the bottom!

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice