Help, can't keep platy or guppies alive

Discussion in 'Guppy' started by Fishes, Apr 6, 2015.

1. Fishes

FishesValued MemberMember

Ratings:
    +19
    Experience:
    5 to 10 years
    We are having serious problems with guppy and platys, they just don't live any more than two weeks in our community tank. Every time we add some, either individually or in a small group they get clamped fins and die within a few hours to days, some sort of hover at about 45degrees not swimming but not all. I am assuming the issue is stress related because of the clamped fins but we are still totally baffled by what is killing them. We have bought from three different places now and lost around 20 fish over the course of the last 18mths.

our tank is 50 gallon, planted, 24 degrees, stocking 1 gold gourami, 6 dwarf neon rainbows, 10 Cardinal tetra, 3 otos. Parameters nh3 0ppm, no2 0ppm no3 between 5-10ppm, weekly 20-25% water change

2. Anders247

Anders247Fishlore LegendMember

Ratings:
    +4,195
    Experience:
    5 to 10 years
    Welcome to fishlore!
    What is the GH and KH of the tank?

3. OP
    OP
    Fishes

Ratings:
    +19
    Experience:
    5 to 10 years
    Gh 75ppm kh120ppm, ph is around 7.5

4. Chris99

Chris99Well Known MemberMember

Ratings:
    +3
    Experience:
    Just started
    No idea what could be wrong with your tank. Your water is very close to mine and I couldn't kill a platy if I tried. Mine seem to breed like crazy and the fry keep surviving.

Are they all the same type of platys or different kinds?

5. IKnowNothing

IKnowNothingValued MemberMember

Ratings:
    +0
    Experience:
    Just started
    Could it be the tetras nipping their fins?

Sent from my HTC Desire 601 using Fish Lore Aquarium Fish Forum mobile app

6. OP
    OP
    Fishes

Ratings:
    +19
    Experience:
    5 to 10 years
    All different types of platy and guppy, the tetra don't seem too bad to be honest, the only bullying I've seen going on is the platy nipping each other. The only thing I could think of is that our rainbows are very energetic and the two males like to wizz around the tank displaying to the females, I wondered if that might stress them out.

7. toosie

toosieFishlore VIPMember

Ratings:
    +599
    Experience:
    More than 10 years
    Welcome to FishLore Fishes!

Are the GH and KH numbers switched around? 75ppm of GH is pretty low in minerals. All fish need a certain amount of minerals in the water to survive. Some species require far less than others. Most of the fish you list tolerate soft water well, but guppies and platy generally prefer more minerals in their water.

You say some of the fish were slanted, and that suggests to me they may have been suffering from an osmotic imbalance. Did any of them whirl in the water?

Chris99, for comparison sake, what is the GH of your water?

8. lopez18

lopez18Valued MemberMember

Ratings:
    +0
    Experience:
    2 years
    my platies keep dying because of some males red wags that are going on a female bullying streak 1 left though gave birth yesterday so i got to watch them

9. CindiL

CindiLFishlore LegendMember

Ratings:
    +2,378
    Experience:
    5 years
    I have a lot of guppies and platies and I bring my GH up to about 125. In general, soft water fish do alright in hard water but hard water fish like these need more minerals than provided in the GH you mentioned.

A easy solution and a way to test if this is the problem would be to pick up a bottle of Seachem Replenish (pre-mixed) or Seachem Equilibrium which you mix but will cloud your water for awhile. They both bring up GH. I would bring it up to about 150 or so.

10. Chris99

Chris99Well Known MemberMember

Ratings:
    +3
    Experience:
    Just started
    I mainly looked at the pH number. Mine is actually harder, around 110 KH and 170 GH. Not what I would consider really hard water though. Perhaps the GH is that low and Fishes just has a similar level of carbonates.

11. toosie

toosieFishlore VIPMember

Ratings:
    +599
    Experience:
    More than 10 years
    Ok, I wondered if you meant the pH, and the pH is fine. Your GH is more suitable for livebearers like guppy and platy too. There is quite a large difference in the amount of minerals available to fish from a GH of 75ppm to 170ppm. So, thanks for clarifying.

12. OP
    OP
    Fishes

Ratings:
    +19
    Experience:
    5 to 10 years
    Our water is very soft, so as you suggest I'm wondering if is could be the cause. I've just found another one dead this morning that was just last night swimming around and feeding well. We only have two remaining now from 6 that we bought two weeks ago, they seem fine and healthy, but I'm not sure how long they will last - they seem to go downhill within minutes to hours.

weve had much success with barbs in the past so think we will go back to those.

13. toosie

toosieFishlore VIPMember

Ratings:
    +599
    Experience:
    More than 10 years
    Do you have a tank you can setup temporarily to quarantine new fish? It's really advisable to do since some really nasty diseases can be brought home with new fish that have the ability to wipe out an entire tank. Treating a 50 gallon tank isn't very economical and some medications can harm the cycle. Having a tank for quarantining new fish to help prevent infecting the main tank with anything and to use for sick fish if problems do occur in the main tank is highly recommended.