Help... cannot figure this one out!

Status
Not open for further replies.

duneschick

Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
I have a 65 gallon tank with Malawi cichlids. Yesterday I saw one of my purple with yellow dorsal (forgot what there called) was hiding in trees standing straight up. He would come out and try and eat his flake food but he worsened over a few hours. Got biological filter from that tank and got 10 gallon hospital up and running with same water out of 65 gallon. upped the temp to about 82, added aquarium salt (didn't tolerate well) and then later added quick cure as stores were closed because of moms day. All water tests were normal 3 different times. Noticed he had red on all his fin base's. Gills don't seem red. Now he is whirling, he can still avoid objects but is not able to control his swimming. I have video. Please help. I changed water today and redosed with quick cure again. He did make it through night which is surprising. All other fish seem fine. He has cloudy eyes but one is way worse this past 3 hours.

Here is a link to a video I took..... have others to.

Last edited:

Lucy

Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Hi duneschick, welcome to FishLore

I'm sorry your fish isn't well.
I don't know about cichlids, one of the other members will have to help with your question.

Your video doesn't show up, can you take a picture? It would help with an ID as well as figuring about what's wrong.

Good luck!

OP
D

duneschick

Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
I added a picture to my group photos? I think. I just added Jungle Fungus clear after I did a water change. Should I do a salt dip or do you think he is to far gone. My video is uploaded to Youtube.

navyscuba

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Have you found any dead fish in the tank? Or missing any? Cloudy eyes are a symptom of poor water quality. What kind of filter are you using? If you are using a canister filter make sure you have good flow. It happened to me with my 350. It got clogged and the water got rotted inside the canister and slowly moving and caused my fish to get cloudy eyes even with weekly water changes.

OP
D

duneschick

Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
I clean each filter by rotating them weekly but last week I didn't get to it till yesterday as I was out of town and figured the other one was working fully to. There was a lot of buildup in the tube which I never let happen but this time. I have not been able to keep track of my fish but it doean't look like anyone is missing. They may have fought but him and his buddy I thought fot along great. I think I have 2- 75 to 100 gallon hang on back filters that I have used for years. Great flow from them. I went from Barbs and ballas to Malawi cichlids cause of high PH and got tired of trying to keep it low since we moved out here. My water fits these guys. I almost unplugged the heater tonight or put extra salt in but I feel his time is soon and not sure how inhumane I am being whether I did it that way or let him suffer it out. His eye is very cloudy now and looks like a hole in the cloud. Weird yes! His gills don't look very red but base of all fins do, doesn't look bloated and is swimming upside down and in circles.

jetajockey

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Hi duneschick,

Are you using strips to test your water or have you tried liquid testing also?

What about PH? do you modify your PH in any way and what is it normally?

Shawnie

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
welcome to fishlore!!!!!! im sorry its under these circumstances
I agree with jeta...if you are using test strips, you could be getting false readings...they are too unreliable and a liquid kit would give you better accuracy ...you have "good" listed as ammonia/nitrites, but do you know the exact readings for them? ....most of the symptoms you have mentioned, could be ammonia/nitrite issues .water changes with your prime can do wonders .....I hope he makes it!!!!!!

OP
D

duneschick

Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Wow... I cannot beleive he is still hanging on! He is laying on his back on the floor of tank but on occasion gets up and swims in all angles. He doesn't look very colorful anymore. He has not eaten since this started. I use the strips and have for many years. I have 3 different ones I have been using. The main one is the quick strips and they have tested the same.
Nitrate:
10 gallon: 0
65 gallon: about 45 so a little out of range

Nitrite :
65 gallon: 0

Hardness:
10 gallon: 200 or so
65 gallon: 200 or so

Chlorine:
65 gallon: 0

Alkalinity:
10 gallon: 190 or so
65 gallon: 220

PH:
10 gallon: 7.8
65 gallon: 8.0

I took video and pics into LFS and he said it looked like septcimia (sorry about spelling), swim bladder and also viral and possible bacterial now to. Possible diet problem. He gave me Melafix and I was supposed to get another one he was out of. Dosed 10 gallon so far and plan to do 65 gallon as a precaution. My heater keeps going weird on my 10 gallon and am afraid its gonna quit or send shocks into water. Need to buy one tomorrow I guess. 10 gallon I am afraid of ammonia poisoning as I have had lots of spikes with this smaller tank in the many years past. I will one day get the kit so I can test it properly. Last night I wished I would wake up this morning and find he had passed away. Sad to say that but I hope if he recovers his brain will to. So sad. And I cannot just flush him or be inhumane... but am I for keeping him alive? Any more advice is greatly appreciated. After I took him out I have noticed one of my other fish that is still 1" long and has never grown is missing. I think he protected that fish. Now I have to dig all my rocks up and see if I can find the remnants.

And nope I never modify my water except Prime. Thats why I went with cichlids cause they could handle the high PH out here. No mods here!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Toggle Sidebar

Water Change Frequency?

• Daily

Votes: 1 1.1%
  • Weekly

Votes: 57 64.8%
  • Every Two Weeks

Votes: 12 13.6%
  • Monthly

Votes: 1 1.1%
  • As Needed (from test kit results or based on knowing your tank)

Votes: 17 19.3%

Top Bottom