Help can anyone identify what is in my bettas head?

kymob

Reaction score
Hi my betta is swimming a little crazy side to side the glass of the tank and I noticed he has some whiteish pumps on the left side of his head . He use to do this swim thing in the past but eventually he stopped doing it. He has started doing it again. Any thoughts what it might be. I am treated him as if he has fin rot but wanted to get others thoughts. He has fin rot a fe times. All test results are 0. (A,Ni.Na). PH 7plus

AquaCaitlin

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
Do you possibly have a picture?
white bumps— like ich? Or different?

OP
kymob

kymob

Reaction score
AquaticQueen said:
The start of a tumor maybe?
That would be a bummer. maybe try some salt

Fisheye

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
kymob said:
I am treated him as if he has fin rot but wanted to get others thoughts. He has fin rot a fe times. All test results are 0. (A,Ni.Na). PH 7plus
Wondering if you are not cycled or in a mini cycle. No nitrates is suspicious. As is the fin rot "a few times"

AquaCaitlin

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
Are the other white dots on the aquarium glass...? From the pictures it looks like ich or some other fun has to me.

julifhy

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
It looks like if he scraped his fins, possibly while swimming side to side like you mentioned. What are your water perimeters? I'm pretty sure that bettas do this when something in their tank isn't right. Also do you have another picture similar to the last one you posted? It would help to see that angle clearer.

OP
kymob

kymob

Reaction score
Fisheye said:
Wondering if you are not cycled or in a mini cycle. No nitrates is suspicious. As is the fin rot "a few times"
Fisheye said:
yes I question if these 2 tanks were actually cycled properly. They are about 41/2months old. I do to not understand why they all are 0. I do do a lot of quick vacuuming and sometimes take out more water than intend to. 50% 1 week. this Tank has a filter and the other tank has a sponge

AquaCaitlin said:
Are the other white dots on the aquarium glass...? From the pictures it looks like ich or some other fun has to me.
no dots on the walls of tank doe not look like ick

kymob said:
yes I question if these 2 tanks were actually cycled properly. They are about 41/2months old. I do to not understand why they all are 0. I do do a lot of quick vacuuming and sometimes take out more water than intend to. 50% 1 week. this Tank has a filter and the other tank has a sponge
Is there a way to determine if the tank was cycled ?

julifhy said:
It looks like if he scraped his fins, possibly while swimming side to side like you mentioned. What are your water perimeters? I'm pretty sure that bettas do this when something in their tank isn't right. Also do you have another picture similar to the last one you posted? It would help to see that angle clearer.
i will take more picture tomorrow better like I am going to put some salt in and will let you know tomorrow thanks

OP
kymob

kymob

Reaction score
I tested water again and A,NI,NA, are all 0 but iIdecided do a PH high test anti is an 8.2 is that bad for a betta. My tap water is usually 7.6

julifhy

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
kymob said:
I tested water again and A,NI,NA, are all 0 but iIdecided do a PH high test anti is an 8.2 is that bad for a betta. My tap water is usually 7.6
The pH should be around 7.0 ppm, so yeah that’s pretty high. Indian almond leaves can help you lower the pH and help him heal :).

flyinGourami

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
julifhy said:
The pH should be around 7.0 ppm.
I think 8.2 is fine, fish adapt and if its stable its fine. Most domestic bettas have gotten used to different water anyways since they have been bred for so long.

julifhy said:
The pH should be around 7.0 ppm, so yeah that’s pretty high. Indian almond leaves can help you lower the pH and help him heal :).
Agreed, the leaves might not lower ph much but the tannins will be beneficial

julifhy

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
bgntoc said:
I think 8.2 is fine, fish adapt and if its stable its fine. Most domestic bettas have gotten used to different water anyways since they have been bred for so long.
My betta had similar symptoms when my pH was high like that though. I mean it might of been something else in the water, but I guess I’ll never know now.

bgntoc said:
Agreed, the leaves might not lower ph much but the tannins will be beneficial
Wait so almond leaves don’t lower pH?

Fisheye

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
How is your betta today?

If I'm not mistaken, the ph buffering ability of IAL is dependent on amount of leaves used and water volume. Two leaves in a 20 Long will not have an impact on ph, I don't think. Also IAL are not consistent size and really shouldn't be relied on to keep ph low.

Your tap ph and tank ph are vastly different so it is important to find out why. There is something in your tank or filter that is causing PH to almost top out. Until that mystery is solved, small frequent water changes are in order. Wild ph swings are not good for your fish. Your linebred betta can adjust to a higher ph as long as it's consistent.

Still suspect you are not cycled.

Please don't add salt or anything to your tank until you are confident with the process.

New Threads

Follow FishLore!

FishLore on Social Media

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Aquarium Photo Contests

Aquarium Calculator

Top Bottom