HeLP! Buying new fish from petstore...

Discussion in 'Freshwater Beginners' started by NicoleX6, Dec 2, 2012.

1. N

NicoleX6 New Member Member

Please help!! Recently bought my daughter a Glofish tank, 10gallons. We've had it up and running for a couple days, tested our water at petsmart. Tank is now ready to add fish. Now I've heard it's a MUST to clean pet store fish before adding them into a tank. I's this necessary? Ive heard to let store bag with fish inside, sit inside tank water to adjust temperatures then adding these fish directly into tank. What do u suggest we do?

2. C

Cichlidnut Fishlore VIP Member

Do you know about the nitrogen cycle? If your tank has only been running for a couple days, you aren't ready for fish.

What do you mean clean the fish?

3. OP
    OP
    N

NicoleX6 New Member Member

Pet store employees told me to let it run for a few days. Then to bring a sample of my water to them and they'd test it. I did this and they said I'm ready for fish. :/ I'm not familiar with nitrogen cycling.

And my friends say, with all their store bought fish they put them into a seperate bucket and pour a chemical into it that cleans any bacteria they may have from the store tanks. I don't know the 'term' they use to describe the process.

4. L

LyleB Well Known Member Member

OK,

The first question is, are you interested in doing this right? I assume so, since you are here seeking advice. Keeping fish is not very complicated, but there are some basics you must learn. It is the only fair way for your fish. Do it wrong, and your fish will suffer, and you will end up spending a lot of money that does not help you out.

There are many ways to accomplish setting up a good, healthy tank, but they all take time and some work. Patience and diligence is in order.

If you answered the above question "yes" that you want to do things right, then put much more store in the advice you get here, than what you get at your petshop. Good, solid advice from fish stores (particularly chain stores or department stores) is pretty rare.

Check out these two groups of articles (follow the links for more information in each) This first one is absolutely vital to success:

https://www.fishlore.com/NitrogenCycle.htm

https://www.fishlore.com/FirstTankSetup.htm

Once you have this basic understanding, you will see why doing this slowly is an absolute, in spite of what the salesmen tell you.

Good luck, and ask away if you don't understand something.

By the way, welcome!

5. SugarJunkee

SugarJunkee Valued Member Member

You could read the info on Tetra Safe Start here in our forums but glad you checked here before just taking store employee's word that its safe. Not that they intend to misinform, but from what I've read in many places, they may not be as knowledgable, properly trained, or full of common sense as we wish!

https://www.fishlore.com/fishforum/aquarium-nitrogen-cycle/58116-q-tetra-tetra-safestart.html

There is a water treatment you should use for tap water when you add it to the tank that has something to help their slime coat, and treats the water for chlorine etc. And you are right about floating the bag w/fish in your tank for at least 15 min to acclimate the temperature. There are other ways to help them adjust, such as adding a few drops of your tank water to their bag every few mins to let the fish adjust to the water in your tank. Also, be sure NOT to dump the water in the bag into your tank. I use a small net to get them out of the bag and put them in the tank, or you could use your hands if you wash/rinse them really well.

I've only heard of 'washing' a fish if you're gonna eat it, but not sure if there's something else to that :giggle:

Last edited: Dec 2, 2012
  6. Terra

Terra Well Known Member Member

In addition to those links.. your water tested ok (0 ammonia, 0 nitrites, maybe some nitrates) because it had no fish in it. Water right out of the tap will look like cycled water because nothing is pooping in it to make it have ammonia or nitrites. The pet store won't mention that because they want you to buy the fish. If you kill them, then you'll buy more. The nitrogen cycle doesn't begin until ammonia is added (either from a fish, or fishless cycling which the links will teach you).

You will want to acclimate your new pet store fish before adding them to a tank. That means evening out the temperature and water properties slowly from what they're in to what you have. This keeps them from getting sick due to wild and sudden changes in ph, hardness, particles in the water, and temperature. The pet store will tell you to float the bag in your water for 30 mins to an hour and then drop em in. It's better if you mix the tank water into the bag very slowly in small quantities over the course of that time, so the water is also balanced and not just the temperature. There is a method described here called Drip Acclimation which is the best way to do it. https://www.fishlore.com/acclimating-tropicalfish.htm

Your friends mentioning the fish "cleaning" may have been talking about quarantining the fish I guess? People with tanks of established fish will do that for new arrivals just in case the fish may carry something that would spread to their other fish and wipe out their tank. In that case they'd keep the fish in a secondary tank for a few weeks until they know it's healthy.. and treat it for bacterial infections, fungus, parasites, etc. in that tank. Since it's your first and only fish, you won't need to do that.

Last edited: Dec 2, 2012
  7. cognizant

cognizant Well Known Member Member

I believe the original poster is setting up a glofish tank, not a goldfish tank.

8. Terra

Terra Well Known Member Member

*facepalm* I read that as goldfish LOL.. I'll go edit my post a lot :)

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice