HELP! Bubbles!?!

Matthew RJ

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
So in another thread ()

I explained how / why my tank was poisoned, and the steps I took to clean.

Today is when I go for the restore, to refill & then move the fish back to their home.

I rinsed the new gravel (& flourite!) put in an ornament, started to fill.

Now I'm seeing bubles again. Not as bad as when the disaster hit. This time they disappear quite quickly. But bubbles ...either
a) ornament is still dirty
b) hose is still dirty (I hooked my hose up to the garden tap, rinsed for over an hour)
c) bucket used to move water from emergency tank into new was dirty.
d) it's ok?! I fill a glass of water (we're on a well), a few bubbles then clear. Not as many bubbles in a glass as in the tank, but bubbles ...argh! >

I'm thinking once water temp gets normal, I'll throw a surviving molly in to see if it survives. But I don't know what to do now. Frustrated to think I wasted all the $ buying new gravel, not wanting to buy a new hose ....

Any suggestions what might be happening?

Kupcake

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 years
I also poisoned my tank with detergent recently. I ran it with nothing in the filter and no decorations or substrate for 3 days to make sure no more soap bubbles form.

I hope they are not bad bubbles because then you just lost more gravel and decorations for nothing

GL, got my fingers crossed for no more bubbles.

ryanr

Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Can you post a photo?

Does it look kind of like soda water? really fine bubbles?

Bad bubbles will tend to hang around the surface, whereas good bubbles will simply burst at the surface.

Do you know what is in your well?
It may be some of the minerals in the well causing the bubbles , if you can test GH and KH of the well water might help us.

Also keep in mind that if this was your first fill, any air trapped in the substrate etc will gradually make it's way out, causing bubbles at first.

If you've got a high mineral concentration in the well, you may want to consider using RO water and/or de-ionised water. You can get de-ionisers that attach to your tap (API make one)

Matthew RJ

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
bubbles pic

These bubbles hang around the surface, but disappear very quickly.

It's been a while since I first set the tank up, but I don't remember seeing bubbles. When I did water changes, I've never seen bubbles. So that makes me think it's something new - therefore bad.

Another shot in the dark, could it be a temperature thing? Very hot & humid here today, water from the well, very cold. Lots of condensation on the outside of the tank. I had water in the tank which would have been room temp, drained it all to put in the gravel. Could temperature differences cause these bubbles?

But maybe I'm being paranoid becasues of what happened last week.

Attachments

ExiledxAssassin

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
i've had those before, just like yours. After about a month they started going away, but (just looking at mine) there are still few but not much and I had fish in there (before I actually started fishless cycle in it and moved my fish to my 10 gallon)

But I did have my fish in there with the bubbles and they looked fine.

Matthew RJ

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
Good to know someone else has seen bubbles like these. Again, just a little paranoid after the last disaster.

catsma_97504

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Have you tested your water parameters since refilling your tank? The bubbles could indicate bad water quality, no soapy water. Some of the more common causes might be high waste, such as ammonia, high proteins or even oils. I'm not 100% sure, but I'm thinking bubbles could also indicate high silica (Someone please correct me if I'm wrong).

Good luck with restarting your tank!

Matthew RJ

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
Water test at the LFS was good. Not a hardness issue either.

ccb04

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 years
Matthew ... did you notice the bubbles when running the tank empty (no decor, substrate, fish, etc.) for a few days?

It seems you replaced the gravel, filter media, etc. What type of decor did you put back in? Is it pourous, smooth, etc.?

Water conditioners containing aloe vera eg: stress coat ... can 'foam' on occassion. It's why API made a version of stress coat for marine tanks that's supposed to not cause foam when used with protein skimmers. The Big Al's conditioner you were using contains aloe vera ... did you use that to set up the tank and then add a bubble wand/stone?

ryanr

Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Ummm, it kinda looks like salt foam. Very minimal, but looks similar.

Is there a chance something has changed in your well?
Water levels getting lower in the well thus the concentrations of anything might be higher?
Have you had a decent downpour of rain recently?

Could explain why it used to be fine, but now it's not.

I'm not suggesting that's what it is, just that it looks similar

Can you boil a sample of your water and see what's left?

If it is salt, any traces of salt would be left after boiling the water dry (similar to the old high school experiments)

Again, I'm only speculating based on it being well water. If you were using tap water, I'd immediately jump to chlorine/chloramines.

Matthew RJ

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
There were no bubbles when I ran the tank on empty, but then again, I filled from a source without using the hose. I don't think the bubbles came from the hose, however, becasue that was rinsed thoroughly.

The only ornament to go back in was a ship - resin with cloth mast. It soaked & was rinsed. This could be a prime suspect.

We have had heavy rain, and being on a well, the water levels could have changed.

There was Big Al's treatment in the emergency tank, and a portion of that water was added to the tank in question. I also added a stone briefly, which was formerly running in the emergency tank. Once I noticed bubbles, I took out ship + stone.

The water is still too cold to think about moving a sacrificial molly. I may attempt a move tomorrow.

Matthew RJ

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
I moved the 2 mollies & 2 angels...with no sign of distress.

ccb04

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 years
I'd say your ship ornament is a definite possibility. Could've still contained some soap residue especially with a cloth mast and what is likely a non-smooth overall texture. Prehaps there were also some nooks & crannies on the inside of the decoration (most ornament decor has openings) that escaped thorough rinsing. Not to mention the ornament wasn't in the tank when you ran it empty and you didn't notice any bubbles.

I mentioned the aloe vera based conditioners as a possibility I knew you were using one and it has caused alarm for some folks as when the aloe builds up a bit ... it can cause foam.

Has the tank cycled already following set up?

Matthew RJ

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
Almost a week later and the 2 mollies & 2 angels are fine.

the ornament was put into the emergency tank (now with no fish) - no sign of bubbles there.

tomorrow I'll try and add some Danios (after appropriate water test).

Matthew RJ

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
All is good in the tank, did a water change, added new plants. Added danios. Tests at the LFS were fine. Thanks for all the help!

catsma_97504

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Glad your tank has settled down and doing so well.

Hope you have many years of enjoyment out of it!

Toggle Sidebar

New Threads