Help, Brown Algae In Fish Tank

Discussion in 'Algae' started by Arikat, Apr 16, 2018.

1. Arikat

Arikat Valued Member Member

i have a 6 gallon betta tank, with too much algae, any way for me to remove it safely. i transferred the fish to a new tank while i figure this out. Thanks

Attached Files:

2. Professor Catfish

Professor Catfish New Member Member

Brown slime type algae is mostly harmless, just wipe it down with an algae pad regularly. It's usually due to proteins in the water, probably food particles accumulating since it doesn't look like you have live plants and are not marine.

3. OP
    OP
    Arikat

thanks, i've tried to remove it muany times, it looks awful, anything permanent i could do?

4. Professor Catfish

Professor Catfish New Member Member

How's your filter/air pump? Mine goofed up and resulted in brown algae not that long ago, it was mostly gross surface film with bubbles though. Increase filtration and at least 6 - 8 hours of lighting a day might help. Bump for more experienced brown algae fighters.

5. OP
    OP
    Arikat

actually, i have had many issues with this filter. I returned it a few times. Came in the acent kit. I like the tank, but had to fix the impeller my self.... the filter is quiet and not that powerful, but i thought that would be great for a male betta with long fins

6. JLeeM

JLeeM Well Known Member Member

Brown algae is probably diatoms, which pretty much ALL new tanks get. It feeds off of silicates, which is literally in everything in your tank. Just continue to wipe it down, and you could try to get a nerite snail to help out a bit. They love that stuff. After enough time, diatoms will go away on their own. It's a long waiting game sometimes though. Don't be surprised when your new tank gets it too.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice