HELP Bristlenose Pleco looks weird

kra-z-fishmumm
Bud (nervous lol, don't know it fishy is m/f) is looking weird. 1st two pics earlier, 2nd two today. THANKS

pH: 8.2(my norm. 7.8-8.0), Nitrate 0, Ammonia 0, Nitrite 0. No other fish having problems.

Coryd55
Its a male(females don't have bristles). The only thing I see is he is a little off color and he is a little fat. What do you think looks different about him?

How long have you had him? I see he is in a 55 gallon. Do you have any places for him to hide? They like to hide in driftwood and caves.

Wait. Are you talking about those white things on his face? That isn't noraml. Not sure what it is?

Cory

kra-z-fishmumm
I think I found

yeh, he has his caves. yes, the white we are seeing is his mouth swollen!!!! and his belly is soooo big. I gave them peas last night, not sure of course if he got any. Have had him about a month give or take a few days. Bud has been doing normal pleco things until yesturday, that's when I noticed his mouth and today I noticed the coloring. he eats. what can I do?????

an entry with the same tpye of thing,,,,, they said it was a fungus. now, do I treat the 55 gallon also? or wait to see if others get it?

Coryd55
If you have a quarantine tank I would take him out and put him in there and treat only him for a fungus. Keep a close eye on the other fish and if they get it treat the whole tank. Just make sure if you have plants or inverts that the medicine is safe for use with them.

Cory

kra-z-fishmumm
thank you, thank you! I took him out and put in my Qtank. treated him for fungus. he is still with us. can't tell if the swelling is going down, but he ate and is pooping. still no signs of infection in the other fish. I have a vitamin block and he was sucking on that a lot. could that have been a problem?

well, the swelling is going down. It sure is weird looking. They are now clear bubble filled cyst like things. Around his mouth, belly, and a small one in the underneath rear area. The stuff inside looks clear, couldn't tell that when it was so swollen. Never seen this before. Hope I treated for the right thing.:'(

Poor Bud isn't looking any better now. He has all the blister looking like things still on his body. His color is still bad and he isn't moving around too much. I hope he lives.

Coryd55
Hmmm. It could be Lymphocystis which is an uncureable virus but is not common in Freshwater tanks. The other thing it could be is Henneguya or Glugea. These are sporozoansthat form large cysts anywhere in or on the fish in question. It is also uncureable at this time and the infected fish is often better destroyed(as with previous) to prevent the spread of the disease. Once again this is rarely encountered but is possible. Most likely glugea from your description. I doubt lymphocystis and more likely it is Glugea.

I can't find, nor do I know of any other fish disease with these symptoms.

Sorry to say you will probably have to kill him. ='(

If you end up having to kill him I have some L107 BN pleco fry that I could send you some for a few bucks+shipping.

What glugea looks like:

kra-z-fishmumm
OK here are newest pics, water has floaties, just fed him when I read your message. Water change was next. What do you think? Sadly, to me it looks like it.

Also, this live plant is the only new thing I had added. No fish were in with the plant, and I washed it off before putting it in the tank. All other plants are fake.

Coryd55
That looks very much like the picture I have in my book and on the internet, I regret to say. I would suggest euthanizing him if you could get ahold of some of the stuff from DFS or you can use some other methods such as clove oil or freezing.

I wish someone knew more about it because I don't want to tell you to kill your fish if someone has worked through it.

Cory

Oh I forgot to mention that I read Flubendazole has a chance of helping. If you can get ahold of some it might be worth a try.

Read this:

kra-z-fishmumm
Cory,

The more I read and research the more convinced I am that it is glugea or henneguya. But how did it get to him? The plant? None of the mollies, swordtail, cories, otos, or danios are showing any signs of it. I'm not the best biologist in the world. It would be horrible to have the entire tank get it. I will google the med. Flubendazole and see what I can do. If it is this contagious though, I feel that I am putting the other fish in danger as I continue to treat and care for Bud!!?

Found the stuff in Tampa FL! for 100gr. for $35.00!!!! No can do. Esp. since it isn't a sure fire treatment. . never heard of the place. again I am comfortable with my findings. I will make sure to show the pics to my husband, he has a good eye for these types of comparisons. Thanks so much. Debbie

kra-z-fishmumm
Ok,,, so I didn't have the heart to do anything to Bud. Today, his blisters or whatever they are, are even smaller. His coloring is better also. I will get a pic. tomorrow. Just wanted you to know that with tank changes and a treatment for Fungus and then a treatment for Parasites seem to making a difference. Also, I turned the bubbles up to high. Thinking about it, that seems to be when the biggest changes came about. Hmmmm. Well, I am just gonna keep him in the q-tank and watch him. He is eating, and pooping just fine. Doesn't seem to be in any stress. So, thanks again.

COBettaCouple
I hope he continues to improve.

Carah
How is Bud doing?

kra-z-fishmumm
How is Bud doing?

He died. I thought he was getting better. He was actually eating and moving around more. He was a good pleco. Thanks for asking.

COBettaCouple
:'( We're sorry you lost him - you really did all you could for a tough problem.

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
FishFor2018
Replies
Views
EndlerGuy
Top Bottom