(Help!)Breeding Peacock Gudgeons?

californiascape

Heya, I’m honestly very bored because of coronavirus quarantine and I’ve been thinking about breeding a pair of peacock gudgeons. The end goal is to put the gudgeon pair (and maybe some of the fry?) in my 17g high tech 60P display with my other New Guinea fish. Then I’ll gift/sell the remaining fry to LFS.

So, my thought was this; I’ll get the pair and put them in a 5 gallon for quarantining and breeding. Tank will be planted and have caves and such. Once they’ve bred and their quarantine period is over, I’ll move the parents to the display and raise the fry in the 5g. I’ll raise the fry in there until they’re a fair size, then I’d add them to the 60P to grow the rest of the way before I sell/give them to LFS.

I know 5 gallon isn’t an ideal tank size, but I think I can make it work for the pair and then the young fry. (What do you guys think, though?) My main concern is moving the ‘teen’ age fry to a high tech setup, do you think that would be too stressful of an environment for the youngsters? The adults will be living there either way anyways.

Any suggestions are welcome! ♡
I’d prefer to do it in a 5 gallon because I already have the tank, and I don’t have room for much else. Another option would be to split the fry between my shrimp tank and the new 5 gallon when raising, I’d just need to move my sparkling gourami out of the shrimp tank.

jkkgron2

Hi! I’ve been doing a lot of research on this topic too, from what I’ve found a 5g for a pair seems alright. About the fry, I think moving them should be ok but what if you just took the eggs out so you didn’t have to move them?

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
alykat
Replies
Views
Keith83
Replies
Views
FinalFins
Replies
Views