Help Breeding Cockatoo Cichlid

Discussion in 'Cockatoo Cichlid' started by jamisondaniel9, Apr 8, 2017.

1. j

jamisondaniel9 New Member Member

Hello,
    I have a 25 gallon tank and it currently has 2 male cockatoos and 1 female I was wondering if this was ok or not. They seem to be getting along but are young and I don't know if they will breed or not and I really want to breed them. There is plenty of hiding spots and leaves and the water temperature and ph are good and all other levels are good.

[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 9, 2017
  2. BottomDweller

BottomDweller Fishlore VIP Member

Is that a white cloud mountain minnow in the picture?
    What temperature is the tank?

3. OP
    OP
    j

Yeah I have three in this tank as well the tank is 80 degrees.

4. chromedome52

chromedome52 Fishlore VIP Member

They're going to tell you the tank is too warm for the WCMM, which it is.

As for the Cockatoos, you do not have a female, you have two dominant males, a Triple Red and an Orange Flash (no black in the fins), and one beat up whipping boy male. I feel bad having to tell you that, but it lets you start looking for real females.

5. OP
    OP
    j

How can you tell it's not a female?

6. chromedome52

Anal fin is too long for a female, it trails back to the base of the tail. And while that is the most obvious thing to spot, the other unpaired fins appear to have male shape as well. The body color is not right for a female, as even when not happy a female Cockatoo is more yellow than grey. And finally the body is a bit too long for a female.

7. OP
    OP
    j

I got ripped off by my local fish store then....

The fish is still young though would this matter at all?

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 9, 2017
  8. chromedome52

Not really, the fish isn't going to change sex. And juveniles tend to look like females until they turn male.

9. OP
    OP
    j

So that fish just had babies.... might want to do a little more research before you sex fish online haha.

10. chromedome52

Color me surprised. That fish didn't look to be in very good condition overall, shocked that it was able to spawn so soon. You must have been feeding them good food. Females of some of the linebred varieties can have a more male appearance than normal female Cockatoos, but I didn't think about that part. Did she at least "yellow up" when she spawned?

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice