Help, breeding bettas

Jack Sparrow

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
Hello, so I have had my eye on a halfmoon mustard gas betta male for a little bit and I am very interested in seeing if I could get a breed him. From what I understand the halfmoon gene in ressesive so I would need a halfmoon mustard gas female aswhell. I just think it would be a fun extendion of ghe hobby and a chance to make some pocket money at my LFS. I am just wondering how many tank I would need to set up, when to separate the fry from the dad and when to separate the baby bettas from each other and what to feed them at each life stage, and any other advice anybody could give me. Thankyou

Truckjohn

Valued Member
Reaction score
Welcome to the forum!

You may get more answers over on the Betta sub-forum than on the aquarium pumps sub-forum. ;) ;).

FinalFins

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Hello, so I have had my eye on a halfmoon mustard gas betta male for a little bit and I am very interested in seeing if I could get a breed him. From what I understand the halfmoon gene in ressesive so I would need a halfmoon mustard gas female aswhell. I just think it would be a fun extendion of ghe hobby and a chance to make some pocket money at my LFS. I am just wondering how many tank I would need to set up, when to separate the fry from the dad and when to separate the baby bettas from each other and what to feed them at each life stage, and any other advice anybody could give me. Thankyou
Just a note, betta breeding doesn't make as much money as you think. They receive bettas weekly and if you are lucky you may get 1 dollar for each. They are harsh.

Lithurgus

Reaction score
Betta breeding isn't going to repay your hard work or efforts that you will spend in the process anyway you'll need three tanks initially and once your fry will reach to a size for territorial claims then you'll need single bowl/tank/disposable cup for every single grown betta or if you have a very large tank with so many hiding places then you can keep several females together

Jack Sparrow

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
Betta breeding isn't going to repay your hard work or efforts that you will spend in the process anyway you'll need three tanks initially and once your fry will reach to a size for territorial claims then you'll need single bowl/tank/disposable cup for every single grown betta or if you have a very large tank with so many hiding places then you can keep several females together
Thanks for uour reply, I dont really care if its profitable if it offsets some of the costs if be happy, anyway do you know at what age i would separate the fry from dad and at what age i eould separate the fry from each other into cups?

DIYbetta

Valued Member
Reaction score
You will want to do a lot of research before trying to breed bettas. It’s a little challenging but if you know what your doing it’s not that bad. Please be prepared for anything. Good luck!

Jack Sparrow

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
You will want to do a lot of research before trying to breed bettas. It’s a little challenging but if you know what your doing it’s not that bad. Please be prepared for anything. Good luck!
Thankyou

Lithurgus

Reaction score
Thanks for uour reply, I dont really care if its profitable if it offsets some of the costs if be happy, anyway do you know at what age i would separate the fry from dad and at what age i eould separate the fry from each other into cups?
By the time your fry start free swimming its time to remove male betta from there and approx after 2 months all the them needs to be separated from one another in separate containers.

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom