Help Breeding Betta Fish

1. M

Murderface the fish :P Valued Member Member

So I have a fairly big sized betta fish who I called murderface, I got him at the pet store in February and I turned off my filter to clean it and I noticed him making bubble nests which I've read is a sign of it being ready to breed, he has the 30g tank all to himself, I downgraded the filter to a filter meant for a 10 gallon tank and he has these 2 live plants, a moss ball and a couple artificial decorations, a heater and I maintain the tank fairly often. I feed my murderface many things including pellets, earthworms, aphids, and larvae, blood worms, brine shrimp, spider eggs and lots of other live things. He used to have ripped fins but he is recovering now, he is a really active fish and I've put him with my 10 gallon fish before, which are all smaller than him and he got along fine with them, with all of that said, I'd like to breed him with another fish I just want tips and all on how to for after I get back from my trip anything helps :)

2. KinsKicks

KinsKicks Fishlore VIP Member

Hello!

Breeding Bettas is a HUGE job. Because Bettas make bubble nests does not mean you should get him a female to breed with. It's a very painstaking process to insure he does not kill the female and you need to be prepared to separate the fry immediately and have a way to individually house each fry as you can't keep them together for long.

I don't want to discourage you, but rather, inform you that Betta breeding isn't as easy as it seems. But if your prepared, then we can give you what you need to know

3. OP
    OP
    M

Murderface the fish :P Valued Member Member

Don't they attack each other at the start of breeding, just as instinct but then get along afterwards?

4. FishFish221

FishFish221 Well Known Member Member

Right after breeding, they will start to attack each other.

5. ravensangel

ravensangel Valued Member Member

My boy makes bubble nests, it's his hobby. I was going to breed him but decided against it (who knows in future). I love him and my females too much to chance it.

After they "embrace" they have to be separated. If they decide they don't like each other, they have to be separated.

If you decide to do it, it's a lot of work and responsibility. It's not as easy as just putting them together.

How often are you doing maintenance? It's important to stay on top of that.

Not trying to discourage you. I just want you to know what you're getting in to.